• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] RAM Swapping without Swapper2

To be clear, and consistent with the OP you made, assuming one followed your instructions as they are written, this is what I'll be doing:

# swapoff /mnt/sdcard/swapfile

# rm /mnt/sdcard/swapfile

Now I have no swapfile, and I'm back to 'square one'.

Then start from the beginning of OP and just change my MB to what makes sense.

My last coding experience was QBasic lol, in 1998...but I do know a few windows CLI commands, and this seems slightly similar. So lemme know if that's wrong? Thx!

Thought I'd write it up like that because to us non-programmers, Linux-dummies it REALLY helps us when the syntax is laid out in example-type format (as opposed to variables in brackets or parenthesis). Also has the effect of even noobier noobs simply typing out the exact strings w/o replacing the appropriate variables, but... I like to hope that's a rare occasion.

Upvote 0
If your'e like me and don't need one more program taking up space on your phone you can enable RAM swap through any terminal manager.

The following method will create a swapfile on your SD card...I use the SD card instead of /data because RAM swapping will increase the number of read/writes wherever the swapfile is located and I would rather have to replace my SD card than have my NAND go out:rolleyes: IF you want to use your internal memory you can replace /mnt/sdcard/ with /data/...

Thanks for this post! I was thinking the same exact thing as I just downloaded to try Ram Manager Pro and another ram manager. I just moved my podcast back to the internal card specifically to free up room on my card for the swap.

Upvote 0
hey
i am using this on my micromax a88, which is a kinda cheap phone. its working on jellybean 4.1.1, 473 mb ram, 1.2 dual core.
i have busybox, smanager n trickster MOD for kernel.
i created d swap file den implemented d first step i.e. mkswap /mnt/...... but
i am trying to swap on my swapfile but every time i try it says not implemented. need help what to do. and i cant download glitch for kernel , so using trikster MOD. if it requires glitch then send me the free version link please. plzz help...ive tried every possible way...swapper n other tools also.....so plz plz help

Upvote 0
hey
i am using this on my micromax a88, which is a kinda cheap phone. its working on jellybean 4.1.1, 473 mb ram, 1.2 dual core.
i have busybox, smanager n trickster MOD for kernel.
i created d swap file den implemented d first step i.e. mkswap /mnt/...... but
i am trying to swap on my swapfile but every time i try it says not implemented. need help what to do. and i cant download glitch for kernel , so using trikster MOD. if it requires glitch then send me the free version link please. plzz help...ive tried every possible way...swapper n other tools also.....so plz plz help

You wont be able to use glitch kernel on your device. Its free (as is everything but CDMA Workshop on this sub forum, but there's even a trial version of that) but its designed for the Warp N860 only. An attempt to install on any other device will probably brick it and render it unusable.

As for the swap file, it probably isn't supported by your kernel or your rom. If that's not the case you may just be doing something wrong, like a small typo or capital letter that shouldn't be there or something. Either way it seems like your device doesn't support it.

Upvote 0
I essentially only needed the file in init.d and a reboot, the sysctl -p command gave errors when run in terminal. So essentially once you figure out where the SD card is mounted, just enter the 99swapon things and reboot then test, makes life easier.

Also the reason for this guide is you don't need swapper, I downloaded swap programs from Google play and one assigned itself as device admin and I couldn't uninstall it.

Also there are issues with swapping and ram for some people ( /data) , if this is on you nand flash you will brick your device eventually due to limited writes, and you can't replace internal storage. If you use ram that is really cool but my device crashes with that ability ( compcache and/or zRAM) so the best option is SD card, when it dies it can be replaced. And it depends on I/o performance, even if the nand is faster, readind from the flash then writing to it can cause an I/o bottle neck. Having 2 separate devices may very well be faster for that reason, even if the SD is slower (mine is sdhc uhs-1 however so no worries there)

Upvote 0
I tried using I used swapped & swapper2 but it didnt work for me. I got swap working with AMemoryBoost(Swap enabler) to activate 3rd partition formated Linux swap on SD card. Then I used Ram Manger Pro to see that the swap partition was active. Forum members recommended Roehsoft MemoryInfo & Swapfile Check to see if swap is possible on a device. For me that test would fail but I had the Swap partition working & active with other 2 apps all ready. I did buy Roehsoft Ram Expander(Swap) two replaced the 2 other apps because it has autorun at boot option & let's you make swap files or partitions of any size, set swapness, drop cache, etc. If you want init.d support on any Android device you can use Uni-init v1.0.apk from xda to enable init.d on any device. You can find the apk & test file with instructions on YouTube also. I dont know if this can help anyone setup swap partitions and/or files.

Upvote 0
it seems to be working, although this kernel doesnt' support swap... cannot enable, do I need init.d? will try... as I got a Function not implemented error

still no luck
universal init.d did not activate, even after the Done! bubble flashes..

update:
I just got init.d to read Successful after confirming its activation :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones