[Boost Mobile] Running Shinjitsu 1.5b - can't use Wi-Fi & 3G simultaneously.

Last Updated:

1. kivetros

kivetros Member

Hey everyone... I'm over here from the Android Stackexchange boards, where I posted this originally.

I'm new to Android and new to this handset, but so far, I love it. I just rooted it and installed Shinjitsu 1.5b, and everything is perfect except for the fact that when I enable Wi-Fi, within 10 minutes I lose all 3G service - I get an X over the bars, my lock screen says "No Service", and I can't send or receive calls or texts.

Has anyone ever had these issues? Could it be because I'm not on the latest version of Shinjitsu? (I tried installing the latest version, but it didn't seem to want to boot - it just hung on the Android logo for > 10 minutes.) It worked fine when I was on stock.

I'd be willing to have a crack at installing the latest version of Shinjitsu, if anyone thinks that will help. Can I use Clockwork to back up my apps and preferences apart from the ROM?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jetx2x

jetx2x Well-Known Member Developer

This issue is a bug that has to do with the OC Kernel... try flashing this in cwm...
    http://db.tt/gzUNzmzF

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    kivetros likes this.
  3. SicFreak

SicFreak The Message is SIC!

check the warp all things root forum, look for the post about shinjitsu... That wifi bug is a known issue right now. You can get up to date on the thread there. You can also check out other roms, such as the Unitology ROM... Very smooth running ROM, with no wifi issues.
    StarScream2109 and kivetros like this.
  4. downthemachine

downthemachine Developer Incognito VIP Member

You can't do wifi and 3g at the same time, on stock or any rom
  5. kivetros

kivetros Member

Thanks! I'll try this if all else fails!

Thanks - I'm still finding my way around these parts.

Can I put the Xperia launcher on Unitology? I really love the look and feel of Shinjitsu, but I'm not sure how much of that is Xperia and how much of that is custom skinning that's particular to that ROM. Can I back up only my apps with Clockwork then roll over to Unitology?

Thank you so much.

I'm hesitant to question you because you seem to be a pretty respected member around here... but I'm 100% positive that I've had Wi-Fi and 3G enabled at the same time on stock with no issues.

Or wait... is 3G the actual data service from my cell provider, and is that separate from my actual ability to make calls and send texts?

Thank you all so much for your advice and assistance... you certainly are a friendly and welcoming bunch!

~

EDIT: I'm an idiot, Unitology comes with Xperia; is there a way to not use the font that is in the Unitology screenshots? That font would drive me out of my mind.
  6. jetx2x

If you have wifi connected then all data is sent and received through the wifi... if wifi is off then it goes through 3g... voice services (SMS and calling) go through the cellular network regardless of if you have 3g and wifi on or off

kivetros likes this.
  7. kivetros

kivetros Member

Alright, thank you so much for the explanation. :)
  8. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Well-Known Member Developer

The xperia launcher is standard on unitology so the feel is similar to that of shinjitsu as for the look it will be different if you wanna change font use the app called font installer there a bunch to choose from hope this helps
  9. kivetros

kivetros Member

That's what I wanted to know - thanks!
  10. StarScream2109

Anytime :) if you want to test out Unitology please feel free to let either myself or sic freak know and we will get you set up i kinda put him in charge of that because im busy fixing things and theming it :D
  11. kivetros

kivetros Member

Sure, I'll have a crack at it... are there other themes available at the moment? I really love the colors in Shinjitsu, to be honest.

Also - do you mean 'testing' as in 'using the latest bleeding-edge releases and reporting bugs'? Just wanting to make sure that I know what I'm getting into.
  12. jetx2x

You can give mine a crack too if you want... I could send you a link if you want... its pretty stable...

13. StarScream2109

there is only one bug where the setting check marks will not stick trying to find the cause of it
  14. kivetros

kivetros Member

Sure, sounds good!

Is there any other way to change settings?
  15. jetx2x

Have you tried using a different a kernel?

16. StarScream2109

i will try that now :) looking for hraorks kernel as we speak
  17. StarScream2109

As for changing setting no sometime they work sometime they dont
  18. StarScream2109

Can someone point me in the right direction for hroarks kernel :) please and thank you
  19. kivetros

kivetros Member

If I moved to Shinjitsu Non-OC, would I notice much of a difference in the user experience?

How would it affect battery life? Would the phone feel as snappy and responsive? All I really use it for is web browsing (Dolphin), music (WinAmp), GMail, navigation, Facebook, and Reddit (reddit is fun).
  20. jetx2x

The non oc kernel operates at a lower frequency and is technically slower but you won't notice a difference unless your a gamer... also the lower the lower the frequency the better the battery life... the non oc kernel goes up to 1ghz and the oc kernel goes up to 1.7ghz

21. kivetros

kivetros Member

Absolutely can't stand traditional gaming on a touch screen... I've got other devices that scratch that itch for me. Better battery is a feature, for me... this might actually be the best possible solution. I'll try it out and report back.

EDIT: How do I use the non-OC kernel? Just restore as an update from Clockwork?
  22. jetx2x

Install it as a zip from the SD card

kivetros likes this.
  23. kivetros

kivetros Member

It's been almost two hours with the non-OC kernel, and Wi-Fi and phone service are playing nice! I think that this is the setup that I'm going to stick with for now.

Thanks so much, guys!
  24. jetx2x

No problem :)

kivetros likes this.
  25. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey, I moved this to the All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding. :)
    shinru2004 and StarScream2109 like this.