• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Testers wanted

were you able to successfully locate a zte warp sebastian?

only been back in Calif for 24 hours, but I did call into a Sprint Store who tried to get me to sign a 2 year contract for an iPhone, I tried to point out that's exactly what I did not want... but got nowhere..

Am I right in thinking you can pick them up in Walgreens? How hard is it? What sort of ID are they looking for?

I'm here till Jan 4/5th so plenty time to get one (I hope).

super noob question: how does a custom recovery lead to custom roms? I don't see the connection really

the stock recovery will only install ROMS that have been signed by a recognized certificate, that we dont have... hence we need to use a custom one that will install anything regardless of how (or if) it is signed.

Upvote 0
only been back in Calif for 24 hours, but I did call into a Sprint Store who tried to get me to sign a 2 year contract for an iPhone, I tried to point out that's exactly what I did not want... but got nowhere..

Am I right in thinking you can pick them up in Walgreens? How hard is it? What sort of ID are they looking for?

I'm here till Jan 4/5th so plenty time to get one (I hope).

the stock recovery will only install ROMS that have been signed by a recognized certificate, that we dont have... hence we need to use a custom one that will install anything regardless of how (or if) it is signed.
I dont think you need any ID. I know alot of people in your circumstance that have bought them. If you do then its a cali thing. If you buy it at radio shack or somewhere like that they try to get you to activate it at the counter but just tell them no its a gift for someone else.
Should I just skip b11 and try b12 or what?

Upvote 0
Okay first off ima noob. RooTed my prevails and thought I was super dev.then I got the warp. Welcome to the world of byebye Odin hello Adb. Anyways back on topic. Under settings about phone updates etc there's an option to updates software from sdcard it asks to copyupdate to image directory and press okay. Any insight or further knowledge of this opt io on and what it's uses or abuses may be?

Upvote 0
Just a thought I could be way off or not. When I had my samsung moment we had to put it in download mode (FTM mode) in order to load a custom recovery this is the only android phone, that I have owned, since the moment that has this.

Do you think that we would have to load the custom recovery that way so that it works properly.

Considering the fact that the update tool asked me to put my phone in FTM mode to load the 121mb download on my phone.

Like I stated it is just a thought, so be polite in responses.

Upvote 0
Just a thought I could be way off or not. When I had my samsung moment we had to put it in download mode (FTM mode) in order to load a custom recovery this is the only android phone, that I have owned, since the moment that has this.

Do you think that we would have to load the custom recovery that way so that it works properly.

Considering the fact that the update tool asked me to put my phone in FTM mode to load the 121mb download on my phone.

Like I stated it is just a thought, so be polite in responses.

Its very possible yes buuutttt... loading the custom recovery isnt the problem though... its making one available to us!
we dont have a custom recovery yet so once we have one we can try that method. I thought the same because i had to do the same with my epic

Upvote 0
Its very possible yes buuutttt... loading the custom recovery isnt the problem though... its making one available to us!
we dont have a custom recovery yet so once we have one we can try that method. I thought the same because i had to do the same with my epic
I would say the last 5 betas actually work but they freeze up and we dont know why yet.
Tell me more about how you got into CWM on the epic and
moment. Are you saying you had to boot into FTM mode then do something from there to enter into custom recovery? Ive never had a phone with FTM on it. All my other phones had "diag mode". Maybe you guys are onto something.

Upvote 0
I would say the last 5 betas actually work but they freeze up and we dont know why yet.
Tell me more about how you got into CWM on the epic and
moment. Are you saying you had to boot into FTM mode then do something from there to enter into custom recovery? Ive never had a phone with FTM on it. All my other phones had "diag mode". Maybe you guys are onto something.

its not how you get into cwm on it.
Its how you 'flash' the recovery to the phone.
If i remember right i think you hold down the camera, volume down and power button. and on samsung its called restore mode (i think)
Then from there you go on to the update tool for samsung and switch the stock restore rom with one of your choice or a recovery of your choice

Learned it all on SDK

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Prevail recovery was flashed with Odin via download mode.
Can you check on your prevail and tell us if you still have download mode after flashing recovery? Im thinking download mode and FTM are basically the same thing.
I could be wrong but I think Odin is just a delivery method for flashing the recovery and doing it with adb is pretty much the same. Making it install with Odin just makes it easier for most people to use so thats why they made it that way. But I will do a little research to see if there is some other reason for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones