• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boost Mobile Version w/ICS

Round Up: Thank you Apache Thunder , zombu2 and the others for contributing so much.

HTC Evo Design 4G on Boost mobile
Its Htc Sense 3.6(NOT 4.0) running over android 4.0.3
Bootloader comes LOCKED (S-ON)
hboot 1.30.0000
Radio 1.11.00.0418_2

UPDATED: As of 6/8/2012 Boost has been pushing an OTA update
OTA_Kingdom_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_Boost_1.10.653.2-1.05.653.3_release_262222nh8o6nzc4n40glmb
Safe to update but read here before doing so
Credit: Apache Thunder!
PRL:
The PRL that came with phone was old, updated to 61008 I believe.
-Apache Thunder has a method of updating/changing PRL through here

Root PROGRESS:
Apache Thunder , zombu2 Have Achieved it!
CWM
Root ONLY CWM install
Nandroid Backup (stock+root)
Stock Recovery
OTA 6/8/12
HTC Drivers only
HTC Sync

Unlock Bootloader:
Go to HTCDEV and clicked on the Sprint version since Boost isnt available.
Follow Steps and Unlock Bootloader. Confirmed to unlock Bootloader.

S-OFF:
As mention by others S-OFF is not achieved via unlocking of bootloader.

Tips/MISC:
-Volume UP+POWER = Recovery/CWM
-Volume Down+POWER = Hboot/Fastboot/Bootloader
-Set up stock Boost Mobile Voicemail before switching to other Voicemails such as Google Voice

Get a Live PERSON to answer when calling Customer Service:

*currently dont know how, if someone know please update*
1. Call 1-866-402-7366 or 611
2. push *88
3. when it starts talking after that it asks you for a dealer id try a 5 digit number like 10066 and you re bound to hit a dealer id which then puts you up to tech support then tell em the number again when they ask you
credits: zombu2

4G Data speeds:
ak47bluntz: 3mbs Down & 200kps Up - Los Angeles Area

Fix for Data throttling:(must be rooted)
/data/system/throttle
using root explorer delete all items within folder
*nadroid/backup before doing so*
Cap before fix is 2.5GB

Fix to Restore Htc Sharing:
in your build.prop find the line ro.da1.enable=true Change it to ro.da1.enable=false Directly under it add the line ro.da1.method=false Reboot
more info here

Wifi Tether(must have root):
File & Instructions here
Thanks Zombu2!

Safe to Remove apps:
Hookit
Polaris Office
boostmobile app
smith.apk (which aperantly manages the throttling )
telenav

Things to do:
De-oxed rom
Make roms
Achieve S-OFF
Custom Kernals

Videos:
Coming Soon!

I can confirm that unlocking boot loader using the HTCDev website does appear to work with this phone. I have the Boost Mobile version.

Doesn't seem to help in rooting it though so I see no benefit of it yet. (current root methods don't work since the phone ships with the latest firmware)

Unless there is an alternate method for rooting a phone with an unlocked boot loader?

Reactions: ak47bluntz
Upvote 0
Yeah I thought u did it thru CDMA
Oh, Like change it to use more of sprint towers.
As far as i know, you dont need CDMA workshop...only qpst for PRL.
Just get the MSL and read from phone and write new PRL.
I get decent 4G...so I dont see a reason to try(for me).
If you try and get faster speeds please let us know and which PRL you used.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Like to let you all know it's safe to install the latest OTA update. Just make sure you flash stock recovery back since the OTA update won't install if you have CWM installed. If not, just flash the update. Install CWM (once you have bootloader unlocked), then install the new root zip file that zomba2 modified to work on this phone. His zip file will install on either version of the phone. Only the CWM installers are carrier specific.

If you already had root prior to the update you will notice it will not be working after the update. Don't panic. Just re-run the cwm installer for root and you'll get your root back. :D

So even the latest update can have root. :D

Also note, if you removed any bloatware, you may need to reinstall them back for OTA updates to work correctly. (I do hope you were smart and backed them up with Titanium Backup before uninstalling them! :p )

Upvote 0
Like to let you all know it's safe to install the latest OTA update. Just make sure you flash stock recovery back since the OTA update won't install if you have CWM installed. If not, just flash the update. Install CWM (once you have bootloader unlocked), then install the new root zip file that zomba2 modified to work on this phone. His zip file will install on either version of the phone. Only the CWM installers are carrier specific.

If you already had root prior to the update you will notice it will not be working after the update. Don't panic. Just re-run the cwm installer for root and you'll get your root back. :D

So even the latest update can have root. :D
thanks for letting us know! :)

Upvote 0
Unlock Bootloader(S-OFF):
Go to HTCDEV and clicked on the Sprint version since Boost isnt available.
Follow Steps and Unlock Bootloader. Confirmed to unlock Bootloader.

S-OFF is not achieved through HTCDev nor any other method for this device as of yet and we've been trying since October 2011.

Upvote 0
We are unlocked have CWM and root .....what more do we want???
s-off. the htc unlock leaves radios and the sim card locked so you can not flash radios or use another carriers' sim card. AND unless you have an edited boot.img (we have one) you can not flash kernels in recovery without s-off (have to flash kernels via fastboot).

I would have like to have s-off 2 days ago. Just to change the radio and hboot on my hero s (us cellular) I had to backup my current rom in recovery (boost mobile leaked sense 3.6 ics), relock my bootloader, pull the rom.zip from the ruu (US Cellular - sense 3.0 gingerbread) that had my updated radio and hboot, rename the rom.zip to ph44img, relock my bootloader with fastboot, flash my ph44img.zip (rom.zip I pulled earlier) in hboot , edit my cwm recovery android text file to reflect the current mainverion number, reunlock my bootloader, reflash my my cwm recovery, restore my backup rom. All that to update my radio. Pain in butt. With s-off I could have just pulled the new radio from the ruu and zipped it up renaming it to ph44img.zip and flashed in hboot. A 3 minute job compared to an 1.5 hrs with the other method.

Reactions: joshua.worth
Upvote 0
s-off. the htc unlock leaves radios and the sim card locked so you can not flash radios or use another carriers' sim card. AND unless you have an edited boot.img (we have one) you can not flash kernels in recovery without s-off (have to flash kernels via fastboot).

I would have like to have s-off 2 days ago. Just to change the radio and hboot on my hero s (us cellular) I had to backup my current rom in recovery (boost mobile leaked sense 3.6 ics), relock my bootloader, pull the rom.zip from the ruu (US Cellular - sense 3.0 gingerbread) that had my updated radio and hboot, rename the rom.zip to ph44img, relock my bootloader with fastboot, flash my ph44img.zip (rom.zip I pulled earlier) in hboot , edit my cwm recovery android text file to reflect the current mainverion number, reunlock my bootloader, reflash my my cwm recovery, restore my backup rom. All that to update my radio. Pain in butt. With s-off I could have just pulled the new radio from the ruu and zipped it up renaming it to ph44img.zip and flashed in hboot. A 3 minute job compared to an 1.5 hrs with the other method.

I know someone that is working to get the wire trick to s-off the hero s/evo design. No luck yet....
Corrected op. Thanks for responding :)

Upvote 0
anyone know any other bloatware apps that are safe to remove so i can update OP.
Thanks

top of my head

boost app
smith.apk which aperantly manages teh throtteling
telenav
calender

for a complete list i have to look tomorrow

BTW for a live person after calling the 1866 number or 611 push *88 when it starts talking after that it asks you for a dealer id try a 5 digit number like 10066 and you re bound to hit a dealer id which then puts you up to tech support then tell em the number again when they ask you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones