[Boost Mobile] WORKING wifi tether setup

Last Updated:

1. smith058

smith058 Well-Known Member

ND8 (Sprint's)

Here's the Hotspot fix, it will unlock the hotspot. Flash this in recovery and you'll be good to go.

ND8HotspotMod.zip | ND8HotspotMod.zip | by crawrj for Galaxy S 3

For everyone on 4.3 MK5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBritton [​IMG]
    For everyone on the 4.3 MK5 update, we have working wireless tether over at the Virgin Mobile section and it should work for you Boost folks as well ;)

[SOLVED][MK5][4.3][STOCK] Working Wireless Tether!

MD7 & MG2

I finally got tether to work on my phone...

Use wifi tether treve mod

Device profile: generic ics/jb wlan0
    Setup method: netd-ndc
    Send netd Max client cmd: check
    Wifi-driver reload 2: check
    Mss clamping: check
    Routing fix: check
    Change preferred DNS: 66.1.60.132 (it WILL be different for you. Turn off wifi first, Check by: getprop net.dns1 )
    Change alternate DNS: 66.1.60.133 (getprop net.dns2 )

Also if you going to be tethering for long periods of time you may need to disable connection optimizer
    Goto settings -

Advertisement
  2. jpaulab

jpaulab New Member

Worked for me on Verizon GS3. Just use Terminal Emulator found in Play store to find your DNS. I had to change from what was posted here.
    smith058 likes this.
  3. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

Do you need root for this?
  4. smith058

XxTeXx007xX and mydian like this.
  5. akmsr

akmsr Well-Known Member

some questions for OP

1. is the s3 CDMA? or GSM
    2. I see that you had prevail, so how much is your monthly payment now?
    3. 3g on prevail vs. 4glte on s3...how would you rate the data speed?
    4. did your signal quality improve by going 4g?
    5. did you try foxfi/pdanet tethering before rooting?

thanks. I know its a lot of questions but I am on the fence to leave boost for metro. I have only one bar or so signal wise. it used to be 3 bars before 4g roll out :(
  6. smith058

I think Boost Mobile is way way way better than MetroPCS but that's just my opinion
    akmsr likes this.
  7. squirrel323

squirrel323 Member

yeay thank you i had been waiting for this :D thank you so much
  8. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Well-Known Member Contributor

You saved the day on this one Smith! Thanks man!! :thumbup:
    jaymzway likes this.
  9. smith058

Tether is an absolute must have for me... I drive around different neighborhoods all day every day, I use my asus tf700t tablet as my primary gps system and customer database... I was wigging out for a couple of weeks when I first got this phone... I had troubles rooting and no tether.... had to fix that, it was top priority for me.
    jaymzway and wetbiker7 like this.
  10. wetbiker7

I started working on it last night and kinda got a little worried when the Sprint hotspot wouldn't work. I had read a report where it was supposed to be functional. When I found that my tablet wasn't connecting I started getting little worried. Lol I'm like you, a working wifi hotspot on my phone is a must.

I ran across your work, decided to give it a try, BAM, worked the 1st time. SWEETNESS, :D Thanks for taking the time to get it figured out. This fix definitely made my night man.

HAH! :) Nice choice of tablets too if I do say so myself. One of my favorite Devs develops for both the 300 and 700. I've ran many of the 700 kernels on my 300 and man oh man is that baby FAST! The TF700 and TF300T are nice tablets bro. They both have a lot of development going on for them too.

Do you have the dock for it?
  11. smith058

i did... i returned it after 3 weeks, just didn't have a need for it. ended up being more convenient for me as a tablet than a folding laptop
  12. wetbiker7

I hear ya man. I use my dock quite a bit plus after finding out Office Depot would refund me the difference I had spent with them after doing a price match with Best Buy, I only ended up having $49.95 in the dock. Great deal IMO! :D

I can see it from your point of view too. No sense in spending money on something that you just don't need or use. :)
  13. wyelkins

wyelkins Well-Known Member

Awesome! Works like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to find the right settings and share this.

This will save me some money!

I have not had tether for 2 months, since deactivated my Prevail.
  14. wetbiker7

Yeah, the SV is funny. My hotspot would work for my computers but not for my tablet. It was actually one of these Treve Mods that finally allowed me hotspot access to my tablet via the SV.

These Treve Mods are SWEET!!! Well, when they are set up properly anyways.

We have Smith to thank for that. :D

Thanks Smith!!
  15. kevindroid

kevindroid Well-Known Member

that could have been an ad-hoc connection. fine for computers but will not work with other phones
  16. wetbiker7

You're right but it wasn't. My computers will let me know if it's an ad-hoc signal or not. It was reading as a true wifi signal.

The thing is, my tablet is running CM10 and for some reason it is VERY finicky about its wifi signal. I probably could have switched back to a stock based ROM and it would have worked just fine. Lol, I'm not giving up CM10 unless I absolutely have to. I've got my tablet set up exactly how I want it. :D
  17. smith058

it might have been cm10... my htc one sv worked fine connecting to both my tablets (tf300/700) with the regular play-store Wireless Tether for Root Users app... in fact when i got the s3 i gave the sv to my wife, so it is still actively working, if you would like i can give you the settings to see if it might work for you ;)
    wetbiker7 likes this.
  18. wyelkins

wyelkins Well-Known Member

The Sprint Tether that comes with Wicked Sensations worked for me. But, after using it, my phone started acting strange. Apps forced closed. Not sure if it was related but it has not happened since.

A reboot fixed it.
  19. wetbiker7

I ended up getting it working. The stock tether app will connect to my computers and the Treve Mod for Wireless Tether for Root Users connects to my tablet. Weird how it worked out but I got it figured out to where I could use it with everything.

Also, my SV is up for sale right now. It's listed in the AF classifieds and is also listed on Ebay. If you're interested, take a look in the classifieds here. I have one heck of a collection of cases and other accessories that are being sold with it. It also comes with 2500mAh Battery and charger.
  20. finalfone

finalfone New Member

Can you please confirm, Samsung Galaxy SIII has a working 4g mobile hotspot on mobile Boost service?

I was about to purchase SII because Boost provides hotspot for extra $10, but no 4g, only 3g... What you said is that with some unlock you were able to achieve 4g hotspot with Samsung SIII on Boost service without the extra $10?

I am confused...
    thanks!
  21. kevindroid

i can attest to a working hotspot. im running the m.o.a.r. rom and it just works. you will need root to set up the hotspot. yes lte
  22. finalfone

finalfone New Member

this is great! although i have no idea how to do m.o.a.r rom and how to root it yet, will research... I am iphone user, the unlocking is fairly easy and automatic, don't know how it is with android.

One more question, does the hotspot work for multiple devices?
    bad karma likes this.
  23. kevindroid

yes it does. i have several androids that are not activated and a tabblet all work. allow me to welcome you to the forum. there is a guide for rooting and you can get help on this forum. we are friendly. hope you enjoy your stay
  24. wetbiker7

Welcome Finalfone!! NIce to see a new member in the Boost S3 section. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We've got a great group of people in here. :D
    jaymzway likes this.
  25. smith058

jailbreak = root
    I've never touched an iPhone however I have had a friend that has one.
    basically to jailbreak an iphone is the same thing as rooting an Android. easy process.