1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

[Boost Mobile] zte warp roms

1. jason504504

jason504504 Well-Known Member

i am new to this but i would like to start my own rom what is the software to start doing it i dont know were to start at all i would appreciate any help i can get i have a zte warp rooted with custom rom :confused:

Advertisement
  2. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Well-Known Member Developer

Thread moved to "all things root"
    Thanks for understanding :)
    jason504504 likes this.
  3. MyndCTRL

MyndCTRL Well-Known Member

So you say you want to start developing roms eh? Well ill give you a few pointers to (hopefully) get you goin in the right direction. To get started, I would point your browser in this direction:

dsixda's kitchen @ xda forum

Once there, read the entire post carefully, then read it over again and follow the steps to setup your 'kitchen'. That post will also guide you along as to where you should go next.

You should think about what kind of rom you want to use as a base. You can work off stock (either rooted or non-rooted), someone else's rom (with their explicit permission of course) or a nandroid backup. I myself went with the rooted stock rom route and it's working out well for me.

The kitchen for me is the bread and butter of putting the rom together, 'cooking' the rom if you will. It's a great and valuable multi tool to root, sign, deodex (just to name a few) and even has some kernel tools.

After you setup your working base rom in the kitchen you can then look for all sorts of guides here at android forums, over at xda, or searching google. A great resource is here at All Things Root. Not to discourage you, but working from those guides will be the most difficult an tedious part of your journey only because the guides (alot of the time) will be geared to a specific phone and not necessarily the warp. The great part about that though is the android framework is just about the same from phone to phone so you can follow them guides but take heed because the instructions might not be exactly the same so it's good to have a little coding experience, but it really isn't necessary.

So after following your guides wherever you chose to find them, come back to the kitchen and finish up (build your rom, edify, sign). The next part I think I can speak for everyone is when I say please do a backup. I know I dont stress that enough. Then you can flash your new rom to your phone and test! :thumbup:

Now you can make a ton of edits at one time then build and flash, or you can make small edits to your rom then build and flash. I myself do it in small steps because it's easier to debug. It might make for a lengthy process but you'll be more likely to put out a much more stable rom imo.

Good luck in your journey and remember these forums are here to help, as well as all the talented and wonderful developers here. They are quick to respond and also very happy to assist anyone in need so don't be afraid to ask any questions no matter how noobish it may sound.
    ZWarp and jason504504 like this.
  4. jason504504

i went to xda kitchen and it said zte warp is not supported
  5. drewhill77

drewhill77 Well-Known Member

The kitchen does work for ZTE Warp...only issue is once it repacks your rom you will have to replace the update-binary and edit the updater-script in \meta-inf\com\google\android\.
    jason504504 likes this.
  6. MyndCTRL

I use the kitchen to cook my roms, but just like Drew said, I have to replace the updater-binary and the updater-script after every time I do a build or I won't be able to flash inside CWM
    jason504504 likes this.
  7. jason504504

ok having problems down loading the kitchen i down load the zip then un zip it and there is no run me or anything all the files i cant open help
  8. MyndCTRL

What os are you running? The instructions are posted right on the thread for all os's

Edit: I realized the instructions weren't on the first thread, rather a little down the page on post #3 in the faq part here: Instructions: follow them carefully
  9. jason504504

i got ya now i went and downloaded dsixda kitchen pic tutor and it tells me there is like 4 links in tutor and it says download one sends you to github that works then you have to download android kitchen 0.171-0g914e4b0.zip and it says this. SSL connection error
    Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
    Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.
  10. jason504504

i am following the posts but when i am installing cygwin it says i have no packages found i installed jdk-6u20-w and that was fine and it says install jdk before cygwin and i did 3 times
  11. mercury0x000d

mercury0x000d The ultra-modern operator Guide

I remember setting up Cygwin was a b***h. You'll notice in the attached screenshot where it says Default? You have to click on that to change it to install, and also make sure you point the installer to the correct installation folder and then it should go.

I'm working on making a version of the Kitchen with Cygwin already in place, a kind of live directory structure, if you will. Then all you'd have to do is download, unzip and play.

Attached Files:

jason504504 likes this.
  12. jason504504

yes but mine says no packages found it should say all
  13. jason504504

i got it thanks mercury
  14. PsyMega

PsyMega Well-Known Member Developer

If you need help installing a kitchen pm me for my phone number and ill walk you through it
    jason504504 likes this.
  15. jason504504

i got cygwin installed do yall know what this means ...... WARNING: If your HTC (or other) device is not listed above, and it does NOT use a 'YAFFS'-based filesystem (e.g. usually the mid-range and high-end devices don't use YAFFS), do not attempt to flash a ROM that you built with this kitchen. Instead, you must do the following if your device is NOT listed:
    Create a file under the kitchen's /tools/edify_defs folder, with the name being the same as the value of ro.product.device (found in your device's /system/build.prop file).
    See the template file in the edify_defs folder to see how to set the mount points inside the file you created. Look at the other files in that folder for examples on how to do it. NOTE: This may not work all the time for non-HTC devices
  16. MyndCTRL

To my knowledge, that is for the kitchen to edify the script for your type of phone, but since the phone isnt supported and you have to replace your updater-binary/script everytime you build you don't really need to worry about that
    jason504504 likes this.
  17. mercury0x000d

Correct you are, sir :D
    jason504504 likes this.
  18. jason504504

ok now it says this i am lost need to go to the kitchen folder an copy your rom file the in the
    ORIGINAL_UPDATE Folderneed to go to the kitchen folder an copy your rom file the in the
    ORIGINAL_UPDATE Folder i dont have a rom i am trying to make one so this is not going to be like ut kitchen i am guessing that i dont know where to start i am following the instructions
  19. jason504504

i sent u a pm
  20. MyndCTRL

That's why i said you need a base rom :) you need something to make a rom out of, like a base if you will, and you put it in the original_update folder. when you use option 1 in the kitchen menu, it reads all the zipped roms you have put in that folder
  21. jimsmith80

jimsmith80 Well-Known Member

Is there any instruction on how to do this?
  22. mercury0x000d

Basically when the kitchen stops to complain that you need to review the updater-script it just put in the project, I go over to Windows, grab my good update-binary and updater-script and copy them to cygwin\home\owner\Kitchen\WORKING_Folder\META-INF\com\google\android\ then hop back over to the kitchen and press enter. Voila! The kitchen will carry merrily on its way and all will be kittens and rainbows :)

If you need them, here's the update-binary and updater-script I use. Shamelessly ripped and modded from Shin's ROM :p (With permission of course!)
    jimsmith80 likes this.
  23. jimsmith80

jimsmith80 Well-Known Member

Awesome. I had already done that, but thought I might be missing something. The last rom I put together would not boot, but it was based off of 2.3.7. Looks like I have more research and a lot more work to do.
  24. MyndCTRL

Very well put, that's exactly what I do. But I wrote a script that zips a ROM and signs it in one step. No sense in zip aligning and converting every single time if your apk's are already zip aligned. I know there are options to bypass that also but I didn't want to sit and wait to tap enter every so often as well. :) I'll gladly share the script if anyone wants to use it
  25. PattF

PattF Guest

I use an init.d script to zipalign on boot, it keeps a list of what it's already done and skips them. Seems like the easiest way to me.