• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CriticalCritic

Android Expert
Nov 9, 2009
Cary, NC
Just a heads up...
I don't know if anyone here has heard about the announcement last Friday that Boost Mobile (a subsidiary of Sprint) upgraded from the Nextel network to Sprint's exact-same network. Boost's plans are in the realm of 1/2 the price of Sprint, and they do not require the yearly contracts like Sprint... AND they now use the same network.

On a side note, I decided to give them a call today to see if I could swap networks with my Samsung Moment, and learned that I also get the EXACT same customer service too!!! After being transferred from customer service to I dunno where... I was received by yet another person that had no idea what I was talking about. And that I couldn't transfer a phone over to their network because other the phones are not compatible with their network... She talked about how they didn't do data and that I couldn't download music or anything, and that the most I could do was browse the internet.

The rep then bragged to me that they now have a smartphone on their network (a blackberry something) as of last Thursday. To which I had to explain that this was a result of their new network and the new capabilities that came with it, and again asked if I could bring over my smart phone to their network. To which she responded that they cannot support smartphones:thinking::thinking::thinking: (nor employees I guess...). So I hung up the phone and resolved to try back when their company has had time to understand the new capabilities of their network.

So just as a heads up... if you are like me and always looking for a better deal, keep Boost in the back of your head. It seems like there may be a huge amount of potential here. Just not right now... (though it may be a good time to buy stock on boost).;)

Just a heads up...
I don't know if anyone here has heard about the announcement last Friday that Boost Mobile (a subsidiary of Sprint) upgraded from the Nextel network to Sprint's exact-same network. Boost's plans are in the realm of 1/2 the price of Sprint, and they do not require the yearly contracts like Sprint... AND they now use the same network.

On a side note, I decided to give them a call today to see if I could swap networks with my Samsung Moment, and learned that I also get the EXACT same customer service too!!! After being transferred from customer service to I dunno where... I was received by yet another person that had no idea what I was talking about. And that I couldn't transfer a phone over to their network because other the phones are not compatible with their network... She talked about how they didn't do data and that I couldn't download music or anything, and that the most I could do was browse the internet.

I think what the rep was trying to convey (albeit, not too well) is that although Boost will be utilizing Sprint's CDMA network with some CDMA phones, users won't be able to utilize EVDO speeds.

The rep then bragged to me that they now have a smartphone on their network (a blackberry something) as of last Thursday. To which I had to explain that this was a result of their new network and the new capabilities that came with it, and again asked if I could bring over my smart phone to their network. To which she responded that they cannot support smartphones:thinking::thinking::thinking: (nor employees I guess...). So I hung up the phone and resolved to try back when their company has had time to understand the new capabilities of their network.

I believe Boost is offering a Blackberry Curve - but not sure if it will have all of the regular BB offerings (BIS only but not BES)

As for a "new" network, not exactly a new network - Boost has ALWAYS been a part of Sprint (their prepaid division) but for the most part, utilized the Nextel portion of the Sprint network.

So just as a heads up... if you are like me and always looking for a better deal, keep Boost in the back of your head. It seems like there may be a huge amount of potential here. Just not right now... (though it may be a good time to buy stock on boost).;)

Boost is a great deal - but now, it's part of the Sprint Prepaid Group (SPG) and which Virgin Mobile is also part of. I believe Virgin will support 3G smartphones.

As for buying stock, again, Boost is and always has been a part of Sprint so you can't really buy "Boost" stock. But Sprint stock is a bargain right now... (hovering between $3.50 and $4.50).

Upvote 0
I think what the rep was trying to convey (albeit, not too well) is that although Boost will be utilizing Sprint's CDMA network with some CDMA phones, users won't be able to utilize EVDO speeds.

I believe Boost is offering a Blackberry Curve - but not sure if it will have all of the regular BB offerings (BIS only but not BES)

As for a "new" network, not exactly a new network - Boost has ALWAYS been a part of Sprint (their prepaid division) but for the most part, utilized the Nextel portion of the Sprint network.
Yes, as I stated, they are a Sprint subsidiary. And yes, as I stated, Boost previously used the Nextel network... But not anymore. Now Boost and Sprint now share the exact same network.

Meaning Boost now supports EVDO, that's why their Blackberry came out only a day apart from the network change (though it could have been the same day but I learned about it a day late). But their reps apparently do not know exactly what is going on yet... not unlike the CL14 upgrade:p

Though thanks for the clarification on my speculation about the stock. :eek:

Upvote 0
Boost will also be requiring anyone with a blackberry to have their $70/month unlimited plan, which compares to the Sprint $69.99 talk/text/message plan. Remember that like Virgin Mobile, Boost CDMA will not have access to the roaming network, which makes a big dent in the 'better coverage from CDMA' argument.

There is also something to be said for prioritizing. If a Sprint tower is full of users and a Sprint customer wants to connect, they will drop a roaming customer from another carrier or an MNVO/prepaid customer to make room for the Sprint customer. The also allocate more bandwidth to Sprint customers for data and voice clarity than they do for the prepaid customers.

At $250 up front for the Curve 8330, when the 8530 is $29.99 with Sprint (at least @ RadioShack), plus the tradeoff of no roaming vs. unlimited calling only applying to wireless phones, I think Sprint is still the better deal.

You also can't argue with how bad Boost's customer service is. I used to sit on hold for 15 minutes to help customers in my store before the system would disconnect me.

Upvote 0
Yes, as I stated, they are a Sprint subsidiary. And yes, as I stated, Boost previously used the Nextel network... But not anymore. Now Boost and Sprint now share the exact same network.

Meaning Boost now supports EVDO, that's why their Blackberry came out only a day apart from the network change (though it could have been the same day but I learned about it a day late). But their reps apparently do not know exactly what is going on yet... not unlike the CL14 upgrade:p

Though thanks for the clarification on my speculation about the stock. :eek:

Wrong.

Sprint's network supports EVDO, and while Boost will be using that network, it's unlikely that Sprint will let Boost customers access the EVDO part of the network. It's like when a Geo is made in the same factory as a Cadillac, they're not using the same parts and technology, even though the same factory is making both cars.

The Blackberry Curve 8330 is also NOT an EVDO phone, so it doesn't matter either way.

As Sprint owns Boost, it's in their interest to make sure Boost does not completely outvalue their main product. If Sprint does allow that to happen, it will put them out of business.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link to this announcement? I haven't heard about it but would be interested if it were true.
I heard about it on the radio. I was going to look up some stuff, but I see that you beat me to it.

Wrong.

Sprint's network supports EVDO, and while Boost will be using that network, it's unlikely that Sprint will let Boost customers access the EVDO part of the network.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that:eek:

Meh.....no Andriod phones. ;):D
That's why I was hoping to take my Moment to their network. But now seeing that it may not be the same product with different packaging... I'm not as interested.

Upvote 0
Wrong.

Sprint's network supports EVDO, and while Boost will be using that network, it's unlikely that Sprint will let Boost customers access the EVDO part of the network. It's like when a Geo is made in the same factory as a Cadillac, they're not using the same parts and technology, even though the same factory is making both cars.

The Blackberry Curve 8330 is also NOT an EVDO phone, so it doesn't matter either way.

As Sprint owns Boost, it's in their interest to make sure Boost does not completely outvalue their main product. If Sprint does allow that to happen, it will put them out of business.

Not to nitpick, but the Blackberry Curve 8330 is a CDMA phone, which means it most definitely is an EVDO phone (Rev0 to be specific). Whether Boost will support this service on the network is a different story, but all Blackberry xx30 devices have a CDMA chipset, and no way is RIM going to manufacture a special one off run of non-EVDO Blackberries for Boost mobile.

Reactions: possumpie
Upvote 0
Not to nitpick, but the Blackberry Curve 8330 is a CDMA phone, which means it most definitely is an EVDO phone (Rev0 to be specific). Whether Boost will support this service on the network is a different story, but all Blackberry xx30 devices have a CDMA chipset, and no way is RIM going to manufacture a special one off run of non-EVDO Blackberries for Boost mobile.

And if they did it wouldn't be BB Curve 8330, it would be 8331 or something.

Reactions: possumpie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones