• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BOOST SGS2 FH29 Root Achieved!

Yes someone needs to separate the installing cwm and flashing superuser as it's own root guide.with links.

And make a separate thread for cm10 Rom..

That's how we organize forums for long-term... I posted about this earlier in the thread but it wasn't addressed. We need to start with a root guide, then make separate threads for [roms]

I will do it if the op doesn't handle it in a few days. I'm always working but I will find time if need be;)

Upvote 0
Yes someone needs to separate the installing cwm and flashing superuser as it's own root guide.with links.

And make a separate thread for cm10 Rom..

That's how we organize forums for long-term... I posted about this earlier in the thread but it wasn't addressed. We need to start with a root guide, then make separate threads for [roms]

I will do it if the op doesn't handle it in a few days. I'm always working but I will find time if need be;)

Done and done. I tried to break it down step by step.

Upvote 0
This is what I have, this is the stock rom the phone shipped with before the FH29 update

Dev-Host - D710BST_CODE_SPH-D710BST.FG31_CL981989_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

If you would rather I pull the kernel from my phone which is on FH29 can we get on a messenger of your choice so you can assist me

I can confirm this (FG31) is the original from boost, I flashed it on my phone after a problem I had, then I got an OTA update to FH29.

Reactions: cerj
Upvote 0
I have two questions.... and a problem...

1. is it possible that there's going to be a way to root this phone (Original Boost Mobile GS2, FH29) without having to flash a kernel at all? I know there's nothing out yet, but, will be?

2. If not, after flashing the Agat kernel and rooting the phone, does anyone have the original one to flash it back again? (I'm not talking about the whole system, just the original system recovery <3e>, the one that Agat replaces)

Problem: I got my phone (Boost GS2 FH29) rooted with the AGAT and the SU zip file, everything was working ok, SU, etc. etc., then I went to recovery (Agat) and did a back up to my SD card... after that my phone didn't boot again and got stock in the Galaxy S boot screen, so I had to start from scratch and re-flash the whole system again..., now I'm back to stock FH29. That's why I'm so concerned about not wanting to flash a recovery tool (Agat). Any Ideas?

Thanks

Upvote 0
For whoever is interested:
If you want to reset the flash counter and the yellow triangle in Boost Mobile GS2 FH29 this app worked for me perfectly, it's called: [root] Triangle Away, by Chainfire.
It's not free, I think it was like $4.

Again, IT WORKED FOR ME, if it does NOT work for you and your phone bricks it's not my problem, sorry.

Upvote 0
Issue installing CM10.
I downloaded the same CM10 that you did
"cm-10-20120903-UNOFFICIAL-d710"
I have flashed the Kernel you used and everything
when I try to install the CM10 zip I get an error

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "epic4gtouch" || getprop(ro.build.product") == "epic4gtouch" || assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "SPHD710" || getprop(ro.build.product") == "SPHD710" ||
E: Error in /sdcard/cm-10-20120903-UNOFFICIAL-d710.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
EDIT:
I'm guessing is something to do with the build.prop but I tried to edit it and see if that would work but it did not. I changed all SPHD710 values to epic4gtouch. It did not work. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Issue installing CM10.
I downloaded the same CM10 that you did
"cm-10-20120903-UNOFFICIAL-d710"
I have flashed the Kernel you used and everything
when I try to install the CM10 zip I get an error

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "epic4gtouch" || getprop(ro.build.product") == "epic4gtouch" ||

That error is due to the fact that the build.prop in the rom and on your phone don't match in terms of device. They have to match or it won't flash.

I know, you have the e4gt. This is an error that I was dealing with for almost 24 hours before I figured it out. Basically, you may have wiped something you weren't supposed to either intentionally or not. It's an easy fix but it took me forever to figure out. I'll edit once I get to my computer to find the link

Reactions: LAWLETTE
Upvote 0
That error is due to the fact that the build.prop in the rom and on your phone don't match in terms of device. They have to match or it won't flash.

I know, you have the e4gt. This is an error that I was dealing with for almost 24 hours before I figured it out. Basically, you may have wiped something you weren't supposed to either intentionally or not. It's an easy fix but it took me forever to figure out. I'll edit once I get to my computer to find the link

Thanks! As I stated I guessed it was something to do with the build.prop. I've flashed plenty of roms on my prevail so I was super confused when this happened. I restored my old recovery and nandroid backup so I can still use my phone for now!

Upvote 0
Thanks! As I stated I guessed it was something to do with the build.prop. I've flashed plenty of roms on my prevail so I was super confused when this happened. I restored my old recovery and nandroid backup so I can still use my phone for now!

Yeah, this was a bugger. I even wiped clean and restored back to stock via odin and it was still having the problem. But whatever, this fixed it -- flash this via odin in your pda slot. You won't be able to boot into anything other than recovery. While in recovery, flash a kernel you want that's compatible with the rom you want to flash, then flash the rom. If it works for you like it did for me, you should be able to flash no problem.

Upvote 0
anyone have issues using alogcat after flashing he kernel. mine isn't producing logs.. anyone?

yup the kernel used in the root guide had debugging turned off so no alogcat because no log file is created when i was trying to get code for the programming menu's i had to flash a different kernel that had debugging enabled to use alogcat.

hope this helps someone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones