• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boost unlimited = /

Feel like between att and sprint I can't catch a break in the wallet. I see boosts 50 buck plan and I wonder what is the catch beside s iffy service?

It is a pretty good deal considering that Boost is technically one of Sprint's prepaid brands and their phones are either on Sprint's CDMA or IDEN netwok.

If you do decide to sign on, I would just make sure that you grab one of their CDMA phones rather than an IDEN one (runs on Nextel). The data speeds on CDMA are A LOT faster than IDEN and the coverage seems to be better in most areas (check your coverage map).

Upvote 0
I was reading about the two different phones. So does that mean I can run any sprint phone basically?

Although there service is run on Sprint's network, I'm not sure if you can activate a Sprint BRANDED phone (a phone with the Sprint logo on it) on one of their service plans. You might want to call them first and ask. I think I've read about people activating their phones on Boost but I'm not sure if you'd get the same user experience.

Upvote 0
Although there service is run on Sprint's network, I'm not sure if you can activate a Sprint BRANDED phone (a phone with the Sprint logo on it) on one of their service plans. You might want to call them first and ask. I think I've read about people activating their phones on Boost but I'm not sure if you'd get the same user experience.

I believe you have to activate the account with a official boost phone but after that you can switch it to a sprint phoen :D .. However im still looking into it to see if theres a catch about the unlimited Data. I feel like theres a hidden cap but maybe not. Im all about saving 30 to 40 bucks a month!!

*Ive also been reading about a serious lag for texts going threw with these phones.

Upvote 0
I believe you have to activate the account with a official boost phone but after that you can switch it to a sprint phoen :D .. However im still looking into it to see if theres a catch about the unlimited Data. I feel like theres a hidden cap but maybe not. Im all about saving 30 to 40 bucks a month!!

*Ive also been reading about a serious lag for texts going threw with these phones.

Yeah, their plans are pretty good. And now, with their "Shrinkage" plans, you theoretically can get down the monthly unlimited plan to $35/month after 6 on time payments.

SHRINKAGE – Longer You Stay, Less You Pay | Boost Mobile

And I dig the 'No Roaming' charges ...

Right now, I'm scouring their website to find any information about data caps and although it's not expressly stated, they do state that

"UNLIMITED USE DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE USE ... you may not use our service in a manner that interferes with another Boost Mobile customer's use of our service or disproportionally impacts Boost Mobile’s network resources .. If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, & similar activities. Examples of Prohibited Use of our data services include but are not limited to use thereof ... for any other reason that, in our sole discretion harms our network."

I imagine that if you are identified as a HEAVY data user, they'll flag you as someone who is impacting their network and throttle your data.

Upvote 0
Yeah I was looking for a exact number of data but havent seen it either. If I could get a sprint phone that is capable of having android os on it and put it on that 50 buck contract I would be quite happy. Not to mention if I could find a phone a phone that is Wifi capable I would never worry about excessive usage anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones