• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boosting reception/data coverage

DankNasty

Jul 28, 2011
Ok I have sort of a wierd issue I get the worst reception in my department at work I got this cool phone with all these apps but can't use them in this particular section and the section is about the size of two bedrooms I can't figure out why I go from 1 bar to no reception to full reception as soon as I walk out. Every other service gets reception verizon, sprint, even tmobile. Is there an app that can fix this? I can't believe that att just doesn't get coverage in such a small area.

Ok I have sort of a wierd issue I get the worst reception in my department at work I got this cool phone with all these apps but can't use them in this particular section and the section is about the size of two bedrooms I can't figure out why I go from 1 bar to no reception to full reception as soon as I walk out. Every other service gets reception verizon, sprint, even tmobile. Is there an app that can fix this? I can't believe that att just doesn't get coverage in such a small area.

HTC phone? If its your designated work area, and you are there a bulk of the day, a powered signal booster (look like home wi-fi routers) may help. You may also be in an area where AT&T uses the 1900 band, vs. the 850, where the higher frequency signal has poor building penetration.

At&t "might" give you a free micro-cell (again, powered signal booster), if you complain about your coverage. We did at my job, and they are onstalling a few.

Upvote 0
You would be extremely lucky to get a free MicroCell (personal miniature cell phone tower, kinda) outta AT&T. They cost $199, and for some customer-unfriendly reason, are not given to customers for free, even if the problem is entirely with AT&T's network strength. I guess you just have to get lucky with where you happen to live in the US to get a good signal.

Upvote 0
Lucky? AT&T works in pretty much anywhere Verizon works....

Geographical location may not be an issue, however poor building reception may be. I have had nothing but "full/near full bars" on AT&T throughout the northeast, however at my new job site, my phone struggles to connect a call. If I go in the parking lot I'm golden...same scenario with my T-Mobile account. However when I was on Verizon, at my mom's house, I get little to no signal, as does she on her Verizon account...and she's a mile from (2) Verizon stores.

So if most of your day is spent in a "bad spot", where you get poor reception, but great reception as soon as you leave, then luck does play a small part. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones