Boosting reception/data coverage

Last Updated:

1. DankNasty

DankNasty Well-Known Member

Ok I have sort of a wierd issue I get the worst reception in my department at work I got this cool phone with all these apps but can't use them in this particular section and the section is about the size of two bedrooms I can't figure out why I go from 1 bar to no reception to full reception as soon as I walk out. Every other service gets reception verizon, sprint, even tmobile. Is there an app that can fix this? I can't believe that att just doesn't get coverage in such a small area.

2. james515

james515 Well-Known Member

there is nothing you can do, unless you move to where the signal is better. No apps will fix it and those stick on "signal boosters" are a gimmick.
    at&t's tower is more than likely a bit further away hence the poor signal strength compared to the other carriers.

3. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

HTC phone? If its your designated work area, and you are there a bulk of the day, a powered signal booster (look like home wi-fi routers) may help. You may also be in an area where AT&T uses the 1900 band, vs. the 850, where the higher frequency signal has poor building penetration.

At&t "might" give you a free micro-cell (again, powered signal booster), if you complain about your coverage. We did at my job, and they are onstalling a few.
  4. DankNasty

Nah its a Samsung
  5. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Ask them to install a non network specific signal booster/repeater inside the building. They are like $250-300 bucks.

ZBoost is the brand I use.
  6. translocation

translocation Member

In the 90's, remember those stickers you could put in your phone to supposedly boost signal. Wonder if those stickers ever worked. Probably not.
  7. macgiobuin

macgiobuin Well-Known Member

Those stickers were excellent (for making the company a boatload of money).
  8. bradridiner

bradridiner New Member

is there any kind of app to be able to switch service providers?
  9. DankNasty

Lol was that a joke?
  10. Therethennow

Therethennow Member

You would be extremely lucky to get a free MicroCell (personal miniature cell phone tower, kinda) outta AT&T. They cost $199, and for some customer-unfriendly reason, are not given to customers for free, even if the problem is entirely with AT&T's network strength. I guess you just have to get lucky with where you happen to live in the US to get a good signal.
  11. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Lucky? AT&T works in pretty much anywhere Verizon works....
  12. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Geographical location may not be an issue, however poor building reception may be. I have had nothing but "full/near full bars" on AT&T throughout the northeast, however at my new job site, my phone struggles to connect a call. If I go in the parking lot I'm golden...same scenario with my T-Mobile account. However when I was on Verizon, at my mom's house, I get little to no signal, as does she on her Verizon account...and she's a mile from (2) Verizon stores.

So if most of your day is spent in a "bad spot", where you get poor reception, but great reception as soon as you leave, then luck does play a small part. ;)