1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Boost's unlimited plan is not unlimited data anymore!

1. jforten420

jforten420 Well-Known Member

What's the deal?

Yesterday I got at text from boost saying that there "Unlimited" data plan is going to drop to 2.5GB on January 20th. Then once you reach that limit it will drop to 256kbs. I don't even use that much cause I usually connect my phone to my homes WI-FI, but I still think it SUCKS! Am I the only one that thinks that? I really doubt it!

So what's the point of an unlimited plan if it's not unlimited?
    Oh, and so much for those people who rely on Wi-Fi tethering! :'-(

Advertisement
    :
  2. ggiddix

ggiddix Well-Known Member

That's why they are limiting it because so many people are tethering without paying
    Thats and LilBit like this.
  3. i2f

i2f Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sucks very much. I'm actually considering metro pcs. I'm not sure if they tether, but at least they offer 4g LTE.
  4. mercury0x000d

mercury0x000d Digital Packrat Guide

Well, in a way it's still unlimited. They're not saying they're going to terminate your account or even disconnect the data portion of your service. Only a speed throttle. You can still use all the internet you want - it'll just be slow. I'm not saying I don't see your point, and yes, it does kinda suck. But at least they're not going the way of some companies (like Verizon) and cutting you off totally if you go over the prepaid cap. Or charge you out the nose if you're on a contract.
  5. deathtrap8675

deathtrap8675 Well-Known Member

I think you might be misunderstanding them. The message says we will have full download speed up to 2.5 gb then slow down to regular 3g speeds.(256 kbs). It sounds like they're actually removing throttle until we hit 2.5gb.
  6. kdraw44

kdraw44 Well-Known Member Contributor

I got same text message. Dous anybody have a pay as you go unlimited like Boost is now?
  7. Danzo

Danzo Well-Known Member

I was about to just post something about that, I got the text couple of days ago. Doesn't really bother me, I'm near a wifi router most of the time anyway. I would probably use 3g for navigation purposes.
  8. mac42

mac42 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just being hopeful. But my understang is that sprint is being pushed to LTE. Is there a possibility of boost sending out some ota to update to wimax?
  9. drewhill77

drewhill77 Well-Known Member

No our phone doesn't have the hardware to use wimax
  10. jforten420

I'm not misunderstanding them cause 256kbps is not 3G speeds. 3G should run around 1.5 to 2MBps. it's not even going to affect me cause I always connect to my homes Wi-Fi, I just think it's a bummer for everyone else. You know what I mean?
  11. jforten420

I was thinking the same thing the second time I read the message but after reading it through a few more times I realized that that was not the case. There going to run their data at regular speeds until you hit 2.5 gigs, and then they slow it down to 256kbs until your next monthly bill is paid then they raise the speeds back up when you pay them. But if you never reach the 2.5 gigs then your speed stays at the Max. Their doing it cause people are tethering so much. It's their way to try to get us to purchase their new Wi-Fi hotspot plan.
    LilBit likes this.
  12. MartyMar

MartyMar Well-Known Member

I got the same thing but I'll be switching to Metro PCS soon.

GS3 ^_^
  13. UnknownUser1

UnknownUser1 Well-Known Member

Im also considering a switch but i dont really thnk itll happen funds dont fit purchasing a new phone
  14. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

*moved to the Boost Mobile forum*
  15. gadgetdaddy

gadgetdaddy Member

I know users that are already being throttle down to 256k, and actually 256k is still considered to be 3G speed, just the very bottom end of 3G.
  16. SicFreak

SicFreak The Message is SIC!

The worst part of it, they're trying to get people to but the hotspot plan, but it's capped at the 2.5 as well
  17. gamikzone

gamikzone Well-Known Member

i have never been able to hit 2.5 gb, my internet speeds are very slow already during the day usually around 500kbps.
  18. Topken

Topken Well-Known Member

I though the 2.5gb limit was for 4g only are they now limiting 3g to 2.5gb a month? I rarely see 3g around here anyways so for me the speeds are far below 256kbs I normally get dialup or worse 1x speeds with my Samsung Galaxy Prevail.
  19. SicFreak

SicFreak The Message is SIC!

It's currently for 4g only, but in January it will include 3g. I already have slow internet anyways not anywhere near 3g speeds, so it'll be same here
  20. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

LOL. My wife's phone doesn't even get 256 kbps. We are lucky to get 75 kbps. False advertising.:confused:
  21. guyphs

guyphs Well-Known Member

Shit, I go through 2.5 gigs in a couple weeks even without tethering
  22. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

There is a good chance any subscriber will not get throttled unless their local area has slow down issues.

TBH, I am perfectly happy with this policy. Data hogs slow down the pipeline for everyone else; they effectively 'choke out' other users.

I am not a heavy user and there is a chance I will see improved 3G speeds when throttling is accomplished.
  23. jforten420

I don't use that much either, so we'll see if it speeds up our speeds. I doubt it though
  24. rockdoctor1

rockdoctor1 Well-Known Member Contributor

Sadly enough the service is so slow i (frankly) find it hard to believe anybody can even hit the 2.5g cap. I tether nearly every day (and i do pay for it) but rarely hit a gig of usage in a month. I have to say i am very disappointed with the data service. As i posted in another thread. I came from sprint and at a time both phones were active. The boost phone was much slower then the sprint phone even though (presumably) both phones were feeding though the same tower. I am just not sure if it is the phone or the service. The Epic 4 does not have a good radio in it and does spend a descent amount of time hunting for service where my old touch pro 2 had no issues. Definitely my last Samsung phone. On the other side, when i can get a 4g connection it is quite fast. Unfortunately, the 4g signal does not do well indoors so i have to be near a window to get it.
  25. MiguelAMX

MiguelAMX Well-Known Member

So for 3G it will be less than 256kbps after 2.5gb ?

I could care less, i never get beyond 70kbps. I just use the data for email and apps. I use my wifi for everything else.