• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Boot Animations ... what am I doing wrong??

elwray

Android Enthusiast
May 26, 2010
Central NJ
I want to add the "android scribble" boot animation (skipping the audio) from here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Splash1 and Bootscreen Compilation!

And I must be missing something ...

I downloaded the file and dropped it (bootanimation.zip) into my SDK tools folder (for reference, it's c:\sdk\tools).

I've tried several times to send it to the phone several ways.

First I booted to recovery, attached via USB (set before I restarted to default charge only with USB debug enabled if that matters) and booted into clockwork recovery.

Mounted /data from recovery.

On the computer end:

adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local

No dice...

Also tried it when the phone was on normally, both Charge only and Disk Drive connection.

I tried a few other boot animations as well to see if it was a bad animation, but still no dice.

What am I missing??

Well to start with, I noticed in your first post you are mounting your data. You actually need to mount /system. I have no idea if that was old information or simply a mistype on XDA's website.

Also, when you are running the adb commands, make sure you are running them from the proper location in your command prompt. You need to either manually navigate there (to c:\sdk\tools) or you can just open the tools folder in your SDK, right-click somewhere and select "open command prompt".

Upvote 0
Yes I am mounting /data - I will try it with mounting /system.

I have been opening the command prompt then navigating to the folder "cd c:\sdk\tools" then running my ADB commands from there. That all seems to be working fine - i.e. no error messages.

Yes, mount /system and it should work just fine from there.

You'd be very surprised at how many people make the mistake of trying to run those commands from the c drive and not the actual tools folder. So it's always my first question :D

Upvote 0
I'd absolutely believe that ... a lot of people "do" before "read" a little too often. Hence why I sought out [what I thought were] detailed instructions on how to do this before I posted.

Also wondering if it's possible to delete the bootanimation.zip I pushed to /data/local? I'm kind of anal when it comes to file organization, and even though it won't [hopefully?] affect anything it's going to bug me... ;)

I'll mount /system and push when I get home from work. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones