Boot loop / Not rootedSupport

Last Updated:

1. Traceamount

Traceamount Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So Ive looked through 3 days worth of "Boot loop" Q & A, forum after forum. Nothing answered my problem :( Ive got a ver 3, never been rooted Evo Ive had since June. Over the last 2 weeks it started randomly rebooting. Last 2-3 days, its turned more frequent and became boot loops, to the point of pulling the battery 5+ reboots. Ive tried -

The GPS fix, using MSL #
    Wiped the cache/Dalvik in the boot menu
    Restored to factory through the phone & boot menu
    Pulled SD card, wiped, still boot looped with no SD card
    I dont use any exchange mailing
    Ive tried "Always On Data" checked and unchecked

Took it to, BB where I got it (with BB insurance), 2+ weeks turn around, and the rep told me if they reload software and it runs for 5-10 minutes they will assume it works and ship it back. The problem lies herein - the phone works for 5-10 under any kind of load, then loops. Games, music, navigation, youtube, anything, 5 min on average and it loops, everytime, completely repeatable. They offered a loaner phone WITHOUT gps/nav ... I need Nav for work :( Went to a Sprint service center, they were stumped, said for $35 they could have me a brand new one the NEXT DAY. However they suggested to call HTC because they carry the 1 year parts/defect warranty.

Anyone dealt with HTC for anything like this? Turnaround time/shipping costs, anything? He said they would replace it for "free", but I cant be without a phone. OR has anyone else solved a similar problem? I can completely wipe everything, load nothing after skipping to set up email, everything, get on the net for 5-10 minutes and it will boot cycle.

Please dont merge my post into another thread based on rooting problems and GPS/boot loops. It still persists after GPS reset and/or GPS is off. Thanks!

Oh and, phones always been in a case, never dropped/abused, no water contact, nothing particular happened or was changed/installed before this happened.

Advertisement
  2. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 New Member

there is a rebooting thread on the second page. My phone has the same rebooting issue and i think the only fix at this time is getting a new phone.

3. Traceamount

Im aware theres several other posts in reference to "boot looping" but, most are for rooting, or numeric exchange mail passwords, neither of which are my issue. Seems its possible the internal memory is bad/corrupt OR a software issue, which I think I pretty much ruled out the software issue. Probably just gonna go to Sprint and have em over night one for the $35.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

That sounds like your best option. I still don't know much about the $35 fee but there is a copy of the policy in the carrier/sprint forum.

It is a shame that best buy wont take care of it better. Given that description they typically test the phone / item the determined amount of time to try and recreate the issue. Do you have another best buy near?

5. Traceamount

I recreated the issue for BB just fine. That wasnt the problem. The 1st problem was the POS loaner phone they had, obv had no gps/nav which I need daily. 2nd problem was the 2+ weeks time without my phone, in which the rep had very little hope they would do more than reload software and see it work for 5 min and ship it.

Seems the manf warranty stuff all changed recently. HTC is now(?) responsible for the 1 year hardware defects etc. But Sprints new thing is, if its within 1 year, they can do an "advanced exchange" for a flat fee of $35 given its a hardware defect and/or not user error etc, whatever else is included. He suggested calling HTC, said they would replace it FREE, but I MAY have to pay shipping, he wasnt sure. However in attempt to call HTC my phone boot looped twice in a row, ending that idea.

I went up there today before 10am like he told me, I paid the $35 on the spot, and he ordered another for me. Said it will be in by NOON tomorrow! The next day! So works for me, sucks to be paying BB insurance too, but, guess I could think of the $35 as a deductable :)

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

First off I am glad that you were able to get a replacement from sprint!

the above is what does not make sense. once sent in best buy typically does more than what the rep told you (at least they have in my experience)

Black tie has saved my arse nearly $1000 between tv repairs and laptop repairs. I have had to get a little pushy once or twice....but with a properly written work order I have had no issues. I would check with Best buy and see if they need to update your serial number/esn number on file for the best buy insurance.

as for the loaner phone I don't know that the insurance agreement states they have to loan you a phone with equivalent features. (I use sprint insurance) It might be worth checking into just in case you have to go through this again

again, glad you have a new phone on the way...sucks you had to pay $35