• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot Loop/Recovery Mode Problems

SMPOMallon

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
I have three problems with my Eris, one of which has always been an issue, but it hase never been a real problem until now.

1.) I loaded Evil Eris 4.0, and now I am stuck in boot loop. At one point I made it through and played with the phone for about 2 minutes, then it froze and is back in boot loop. I wiped it clean when I loaded Evil Eris 4.0. Before that I had Kayos Froyo 39, which was good, but the browser kept force closing, so i wanted to try Evil Eris.

2.) When I was in Kayos Froyo, my phone wouldn't activate, it kept saying "we cannot authorize this phone", its mine phone, not stolen, clean ESN linked to my account.

3.) This is the one that has always happened, but now is a big problem, when loading into Recovery mode (Black screen with lime green font) my phone won't scroll down past "Reboot System Now", the first option. It never seemed to be able to in the past. Now, most forums say to wipe from here and load another ROM from the SD card, but it won't scroll to that Option. I can only choose to Reboot system now. I am a NOOB with this stuff, please help!

I have three problems with my Eris, one of which has always been an issue, but it hase never been a real problem until now.

1.) I loaded Evil Eris 4.0, and now I am stuck in boot loop. At one point I made it through and played with the phone for about 2 minutes, then it froze and is back in boot loop. I wiped it clean when I loaded Evil Eris 4.0. Before that I had Kayos Froyo 39, which was good, but the browser kept force closing, so i wanted to try Evil Eris.

2.) When I was in Kayos Froyo, my phone wouldn't activate, it kept saying "we cannot authorize this phone", its mine phone, not stolen, clean ESN linked to my account.

3.) This is the one that has always happened, but now is a big problem, when loading into Recovery mode (Black screen with lime green font) my phone won't scroll down past "Reboot System Now", the first option. It never seemed to be able to in the past. Now, most forums say to wipe from here and load another ROM from the SD card, but it won't scroll to that Option. I can only choose to Reboot system now. I am a NOOB with this stuff, please help!

As for 3., follow the instructions in this thread to install a replacement recovery that works without the trackball: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html

As for 1 and 2, I think that the best 2.1 based ROMs for the Eris are xtrSENSE and xtrROM. xtrSENSE, like Evil Eris, includes the Sense launcher, and looks and feels almost exactly like the stock Eris. However, unlike Evil Eris, which I find bloated (after installing it and just a few apps, I had less than 10 MB free storage, which may your problem), xtrSENSE includes something called cache2cache which moves a big block of storage out of the data area, where you store apps and their data, freeing up a ton of space on the phone. xtrROM is very similar, though it does not include the Sense launcher, and some of the built-in apps are a bit different.

Anyway, I suggest installing that new recovery (if you have trouble, Scary Alien can probably help you out in that thread), and then wipe data and install xtrSENSE and see if the phone works better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones