• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot PC from Samsung Captivate SD Card

D

Deleted User

I have the following:

• Samsung Captivate (SGH-1897)
  • Firmware 2.1-update1
  • Kernel: 2.6.29 jetaek.leesep-11 #2
  • Build number: ECLAIR
I need to boot a computer into Ubuntu from the SD storage card while maintaining unfettered access to the Android OS/Phone.

Is there anyway to ensure the SD Card is always available to PC? During the boot process it seems media scanner as well as timing issues are preventing this from being successful.

Very Respectfully,
Dichotomouz

I have the following:

• Samsung Captivate (SGH-1897)
  • Firmware 2.1-update1
  • Kernel: 2.6.29 jetaek.leesep-11 #2
  • Build number: ECLAIR
I need to boot a computer into Ubuntu from the SD storage card while maintaining unfettered access to the Android OS/Phone.

Is there anyway to ensure the SD Card is always available to PC? During the boot process it seems media scanner as well as timing issues are preventing this from being successful.

Try one of these?
Multi Mount SD-Card Free - Android app on AppBrain
Dual Mount SD Widget - Android app on AppBrain

You need to be rooted though.

Upvote 0
I would like to do the same, but I do not see it as an option in my bios to boot from that drive, though my phone completely unmounts the drive and is set in mass storage mode when I watch my computer go through diagnostic boot setup.

My next task is to see if I can find the drive from grub, but would like to have grub installed on my SD card as I would like to use the phone as a standalone linux-net installer and also be able to boot linux live without another usb drive.

The main goal is to have the phone usable with adb and proxoid so I can connect machines without recognized hardware to the internet, I somehow want all of this to setup before net install tries to retrieve anything online. It seems some hardware needs specialized drivers and this way I can do the research necessary or write a script that can find the needed drivers and install them. Also will help with machines that don't have an internet connection.

Problems:

1. Proxoid will not allow me to browse network shares.

2 After I boot and want to connect I have to take phone out of mass
storage mode, which means PC or Laptop will not be able to access
the drive any longer.

Possible solutions:

1. share the sd card from phone over network and boot from network if
you are hardwired to the router, not sure how this works

2. Find a way to make android keep phone in both storage mode and
charge mode with debugging.

3. Load kernel and a few things from a boot usb getting adb shell and pull
the rest of the image through there or create an image that just keeps
a copy of the file system table and symlnk to the files via adb or
something... Just some ideas,

Would love to use my old phone as a complete debugging device, or as complete as I can make it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones