• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootanimations: Resizing and Installing

Ok so this is gonna be pretty quick and simple. If your like me and have a bootanimation.zip that is to big for your phone and you can't figure out how to resize it this is for you. Now i found a pretty cool bootanimation.zip it's the file i'll be resizing in this post if anyone wants it's i attached it.

*You will need a program like winrar to do this*
*This will be based off of using winrar*
Resizing Your bootanimation.zip
1. Now to get started find the bootanimation.zip you wanna use or use the attached bootanimation.zip.
2. Double click the bootanimation.zip or right click and hit open to open the file
3. Now you should see 2 files and desc.txt
4. Highlight everything in your bootanimation.zip
5. Right click go to "Extract to the specified folder"
6. Now a window will pop up where it says destination path type where you want it to be unziped to i recommend unziping to the desktop into a new folder so its easy to find my destination path was C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\New Folder
7. After typing in your destination path hint ok at the bottom of the window
8. Go to where you unziped the files to and then find the desc.txt file that's the file will be changing
9.Double click it to open when it opens you should see something like this:
480 800 200
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1
10. Now to resize you'll need to know your screens resolution size mines 320x480
11. To resize the bootanimation you want to change the <480 800> values to your screens resolution mine will look like this after <320 480> so now the file should look like this:
320 480 200
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1
12. Now you need to save your changes and close it
13. Find all the files you unziped for this boot animation youll need to find part0, part1, and the desc.txt highlight all three and right click add to archive a window will pop up
14. Now where it says archive name change whatever is befor the .rar only to bootanimation then on the left side of the window under where it says archive format change it from .rar to .zip and right below that you see Compress method using the drop down menu change it from normal to store then hit ok
15. Now in the same place you extracted your files to youll have a new file named bootanimation.zip that will be your new resized bootanimation.zip

Installing your bootanimation.zip

Theres two ways to do this either from your phone or your computer. I'll list both ways to install your bootanimation.zip

Doing this via Cell phone <recommended>
1. If you dont have root explorer install it. To download click here
root explorer is not free but ES File Explorer is for that click here
>>Es File Explorer setup: open app go to settings check Root Explorer then check mount file system right below it
Another file explorer is Androzip if you'd like it click here
***Will not work for those of you who need to move files to /system/media***
2. Take the bootanimation.zip that we resized and save it to your sdcard
3. Now from your phone in root explorer locate your bootanimation directory it will be in either /data/local or in /system/media to find them:
click data then go to local if you see bootanimation.zip you found it if not go back to the main page in root explorer and click system then media and it will be there if its in media at the top of root explorer youll see a button that says mount r/w click it while inside /system/media
5. Now navigate your way to our sd card from inside root explorer find the bootanimation.zip you just saved and click and hold till a menu pops up select move
6. Now make your way back to which ever directory had your bootanimation.zip either /data/local or /system/media when you get to it hold down your finger till a menu pops up select past a window will pop up saying overwrite hit ok
7. now reboot phone and enjoy :)

Doing this via computer assuming you have
Android SDK|Android Developers installed already.

If not here is a link that was provided to me by AndyOpie150
ADB Installation Instructions
New pre-packaged ADB installation

1 Ok find your android sdk folder mine was located at:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk
2 after you find it you will see a few folders you will need to go to the one that says platform tools
3 now take the boot animation that we just resized and drag it into the folder you just opend
4 now click start> tpye cmd> and hit enter a little black box will pop up
5 now you'll need to type the location of the platform tools folder to find this just go to the folder where you droped the bootanimation and click in the browser bar it will then display something like this:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
6 now to type that location into the black box that appeared do as follows
type: cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Capital letters and - must be included also if you dont put cd it will not go anywhere will just say wasn't an internal or external command so make sure you type cd then the location of you platform tools
7 now if you typed it all correctly what you typed should now be displayed in the black box
8 now take your android and plug it into your computer make sure usb debugging is on if not go to Settings > Applications > Development then check the usb debugging box then turn on usb storage
9 now that your phone is connected your bootanimation is in either 1 of 2 places /data/local or /system/media if you do now then you can just push ta both and reboot
10 now type as followes:
adb push bootanimation.zip /data/boot hit enter or
adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media hit enter
then in the box it will say what was pushed after you hit enter and then reboot and enjoy :)

Now if anyone needs further help with this just ask and i will help you figure it out! If i missed a step or if anything doesn't work for you please let me know!
This is my first how to guide so hopefully it helps someone!

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    5 MB · Views: 258
Reactions: AndyOpie150

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones