• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bootloader accessed for Ally!

NOTICE ONCE A CUSTOM RECOVERY IS MADE THIS WILL BE THE IDEAL WAY TO ROOT.

I got fastboot working and can flash from it. I had a ally that we were going to doa back to vendor as cannon fodder as it had been tampered with and we wanted to kill it. I took mtd0 (boot.img) and rebuilt it changing ro.secure to 0. I ignored common sense about flashing a boot.img that was taken with cat off the phone as this phone was messed up anyway shoulda tried a bootsplash :p. Fastboot flashed the boot and it seems it was corrupted (as was expected) and now wont boot past LG logo. Oh well now we know that if a custom recovery.img is built custom roms are now possible.

Add the below items to android_winusb.inf in your android sdk usb_driver folder. It was very easy to add these from the hardware ids. For fastboot/ bootloader issue adb command adb reboot-bootloader. Once in bootloader from device manager you should see an android listing that is unknown. Right click and update driver and select browse for driver then let me pick from list of drivers on my computer. If you see android bootloader interface pick it and you are good. If not use have disk and browse to android_winusb.inf and you should see the android bootloader interface.

Code:
;LG Ally
%SingleAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_618E&MI_01
;%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_618E&REV_0100&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

You can also flash a system.img from fastboot so let the custom roms begin once recovery is made. Also work noting the PdaNet drivers are not needed if you have the android sdk already. The LG android drivers need to be unistalled also if you have them as they are old and will conflict with adb/fastboot. Recovery.img can be flashed with fastboot once we have a custom one.

Upvote 0
i know triton the mod is working on building a recovery image so we can get ROMs i was trying to help him last night but i didnt have the boot.img file from the update.zip he needed

Thread about capturing the update ota url is here: FYI: OTA URL capture - xda-developers it seems to have changed for the eris and probably the ally as it didn't give the correct download following the above info.

I ran the capture but haven't yet figured out the https prefix for it.

the suffix for ally is e46a21e06d53.VS740ZV8_ZV6_to_ZV8_01_Inc.zip
Code:
I/SystemUpdateInstallDialog( 1267): OTA update available: /cache/e46a21e06d53.VS740ZV8_ZV6_to_ZV8_01_Inc.zip

the naming for the new eris one was changed to http://android.clients.google.com/p...Verizon_WWE_2.37.605.4_2.36.605.1_release.zip

more than likely the ally one will be VS740ZV8_ZV6_to_ZV8_01_Inc.zip

the board name for the ally is also aloha where the board name for eris is desirec.

If someone wants to play around enough to get the url please do.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones