• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [BOOTLOADER] Unlocked bootloader, root, CWM for the LG Spectrum 4G on ICS (Linux Install)

umm no you shouldn't have to, but then again I may have my system set so adb runs as root all the time.

Make sure to have debugging enabled and Connectivity set to internet connection > ethernet.
Saw this with the root tool and just assumed that that was the case here.
Good to know, can you check and see if you have adb set to root, would help to know.

Upvote 0
I gave up with linux and used my brother's laptop with win 7. Worked just fine. There's so much information to sift through. I'm looking into custom ROMS now, but I have no idea what can and cannot be done. I see many guides/tutorials, but nothing that really explains EVERY aspect of the processes involved. I'm not looking for a guide for super dummies, but having everything more or less spelled out in one place would make learning all of this a lot easier. If you guys know of such a thing please point me in the right direction. Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Tried this on my pc running Ubuntu 12.04, yet i keep getting this error :
[[*] Removing Trash
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/recovery-from-boot.p, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/fota_post_boot_up.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/gpscfg/*, No such file or directory
[*] Finished!!

Any guesses as to what is happening?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You probably need to setup at least a partial build environment on linux to get adb working correctly.

Here's a bit of a guide. http://androidforums.com/lg-spirit-4g/692656-install-adb-windows-ubuntu-12-04-12-10-a.html

The adb linux executable included in this unlocker/root/CWM zip is 32 bits. I've been trying to get it to work on my 64bit system to see if that solves other problems I have. I haven't gotten the rooting, etc to work with the 64bit adb 1.0.31 I already have installed. I don't really think that the adb version I'm using is preventing this root script from working. I'll describe that separately.

With the 32 bit, I got a bunch of errors like this:
./linux-osx-install.sh: line 57: Files/./adb: No such file or directory

Then I did this:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libc6-i386

And now I get many:
Files/./adb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Upvote 0
So, using the 64 bit adb I've already got on my linux machine, I've got some issues. First, I have to toggle USB Debugging after each reboot, or else the device doesn't show. That might have something to do with why I don't get root, failing at the remount stage:

Code:
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb kill-server
root@Spectrum-Freedom# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached 
28122a	device

root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb shell "rm /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock && ln -s /data/local.prop /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock"
root@Spectrum-Freedom# adb reboot
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb wait-for-device
(toggled USB internet and debugging modes)
Code:
root@Spectrum-Freedom# 
List of devices attached 
28122a	device

root@Spectrum-Freedom# 
root@Spectrum-Freedom# 
root@Spectrum-Freedom# 
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb shell "rm /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock"
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb shell "echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop"
root@Spectrum-Freedom# 
root@Spectrum-Freedom# echo "[*] Rebooting again..."
[*] Rebooting again...
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb reboot
root@Spectrum-Freedom# echo "[*] Waiting for reboot..."
[*] Waiting for reboot...
root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb wait-for-device
List of devices attached
(toggled USB debugging mode)
Code:
List of devices attached 
28122a	device

root@Spectrum-Freedom# $adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"
mount: Operation not permitted

I'm running this from a fresh OTA v8. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
If you're doing that line by line, can you do the commands from inside the ADB shell instead of doing ADB shell " "? This may give a better output as to what is failing to hold.

Also, you may want to try putting the
ln -s /data/local.prop /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock

into it's own command line. I'm guessing that is what is not holding.

Upvote 0
If you're doing that line by line, can you do the commands from inside the ADB shell instead of doing ADB shell " "? This may give a better output as to what is failing to hold.

Also, you may want to try putting the
ln -s /data/local.prop /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock

into it's own command line. I'm guessing that is what is not holding.

I believe all the commands before the remount worked fine. I could see the symlink, local.prop existed with 17 bytes (couldn't read them, but I'm betting it was the qemu line + LF).

I didn't have the basic computer smarts to try rebooting my computer (what is this, windows?). Something else decided to reboot it. Right after a "adb reboot", the computer just restarted. So, both the phone and computer, still connected, rebooted. I think the phone stayed in internet/debug mode, for maybe the first and only time. Then I ran the script (tweaked with adb=adb, so that it used my 64 bit adb instead of the included 32 bit), and it worked fine. Seems to have, at least - I launched superuser, but that's about all.

Before going forward (with Avatar ROM, I think), I'm trying to remember what it was I read about a CWM bricking issue. Maybe it was something about trying to use a pre-v7 method of installing CWM on v7+.

Upvote 0
First off I want To Say THANK YOU. Believe it or not I rooted The LG LUCID 4G with your bootanimation unlocker. Believe me when I say I have literally tried everything known to man with no avail. Your programming was Fantastic and I thank you much. Please keep up the great work you guys do.

Ryan

I wouldn't suggest doing anything else to your Lucid with stuff from this forum. There is a 100% chance that anything more than rooting will brick your phone. I would suggest going to the Lucid forums for anything else you may want.

Upvote 0
I am very familiar with CWN and custom roms I have flashed a slug of them but T This LG Spectrum one could always have a 50-50 chance always too choices serial or diag but is it always diag port for flashing and updtes ??? I know when you go into flashing tools diag is always different then serial so what is the norm for rom flashes and such please help and if in the next half hour yoou know for sure the general rules please help

Upvote 0
Just wanted to share my experience since you'all have been so generous to work on this project and share knowledge.

I had previously rooted my spectrum using the PlayfulGod/jcase technique (sh on linux, http://androidforums.com/spectrum-all-things-root/637556-root-lg-spectrum-ics-ota.html). Zip file was "LG_Spectrum_ICS". The shell script needed the following fix in order to work:

1& [:~/lg/LG_Spectrum_ICS] $ diff linux-osx-install.sh linux-osx-install.sh.orig
82c82
< $adb push su /system/bin/su
---
> $adb push su /system/xbin/su

Didn't install a custom rom (shame on me!) and recently took the update to V9, which unrooted the phone.

Came here to get the latest root tool for linux, found this thread and followed the instructions here to install "Spectrum-Freedom". got repeated "rm failed" errors at the end of the script (which could be normalish), but Root Checker continued to indicate no root.

After 3 or 4 tries I found the original PlayfulGod/jcase script, and ran it. boom, root. Then, re-ran this script subsequently in the hopes that cwm would be installed. That seems to have done the trick. YMMV.

I'm not sure of the key combos to get to the recovery tool, but I was able to get to cwm using rom toolbox and make a backup. I'm having issues restoring from it but i think they are surmountable. going to spend some time tonight getting a restorable backup and then a new rom is in order. thinking i might just go for Pace4.4 KK :) this phone has been behind the times for way too long.

Just want to thank you all and share the above info if others have issues (maybe V9 or possibly because it was previously rooted?)

PS I don't have the output from my original unsuccessful runs, but here was the final run after performing the original script rooting:

[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found
[*] Rebooting...
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied
[*] Rebooting again...
[*] Installing root tools...
mount: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'Files/su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
link failed File exists
failed to copy 'Files/Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'Files/busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: Read-only file system
[*] Installing Bootloader and CWM
2630 KB/s (5486592 bytes in 2.037s)
4944 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 0.207s)
5004 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 0.204s)
4130 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 0.247s)
4626 KB/s (5242880 bytes in 1.106s)
3469 KB/s (5242880 bytes in 1.475s)
271 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 3.766s)
3915 KB/s (8706048 bytes in 2.171s)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p6: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9: cannot open for write: Permission denied
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8: cannot open for write: Permission denied
[*] Removing Trash
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/recovery-from-boot.p, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/fota_post_boot_up.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/gpscfg/*, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/: Operation not permitted
[*] Finished!!

[*] Rebooting!!
[*] Press any key to exit.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones