• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bootloader unlocking question.

Howwy

Lurker
Dec 15, 2016
Hello.

I have a question about unlocking the bootloader on a pixel phone. If i buy a pixel phone thats locked to a carrier and i unlock the bootloader, does that also free the phone from its locked carrier? I.e if the phone is locked to EE and the bootloader is unlocked will i be able to use giff gaff as a carrier?

Thanks in advance.

No, unlocking the bootloader and unlocking the device to use on another carrier are 2 different things.

See this on the bootloader unlocking bit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1839477

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER?
Unlocking the bootloader is the first step towards gaining root privileges. Some developers and enthusiasts unlock and root in order to experiment with applications or with custom builds of Android. Needless to say, you should not attempt to unlock the bootloader unless you know what you are doing.
DOES UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER MEAN I CAN USE MY DEVICE WITH ANY WIRELESS OPERATOR?
No, this does not disable a carrier subsidy lock if one exists. Some subscriptions are tied to a specific wireless operator and the phone cannot be used on another operator's network. A "locked bootloader" and "carrier subsidy lock" are thus two entirely different topics. Do not unlock the bootloader if you are want to to disable the carrier subsidy lock.

hth, and welcome to AF :D

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Ok thanks. Is there any way to unlock the phone to other carriers?
There are some companies that claim they can do it, but more often than not they fail.
Your best bet is to contact your carrier and ask them for the unlock code but you need to fulfill your term with them if on a contract, or fulfill some sort of time frame using them as your carrier.

At least that's the way I understand it. Using companies online to unlock your device without fulfilling any carrier obligations may land you in some doo-doo with your carrier ;)

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
There are some companies that claim they can do it, but more often than not they fail.
Your best bet is to contact your carrier and ask them for the unlock code but you need to fulfill your term with them if on a contract, or fulfill some sort of time frame using them as your carrier.

At least that's the way I understand it. Using companies online to unlock your device without fulfilling any carrier obligations may land you in some doo-doo with your carrier ;)
Im buying the phone second hand so i have no obligations with the carrier the phone is locked to.

Upvote 0
Im buying the phone second hand so i have no obligations with the carrier the phone is locked to.
The phone's previous owner might still have outstanding obligations though. So you really want to check it's clear, because otherwise it could end up being IMEI blacklisted for all carriers. Which makes it useless as a phone, and only the original carrier can possibly change that, like if an outstanding contract associated with the phone was fulfilled.

Reactions: jj14x and Mikestony
Upvote 0
Ah ok.
A good site to help you find out if your device works for a specific carrier is
http://willmyphonework.net

Is your pixel that you bought originally from Google or Verizon or another carrier?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
The phone's previous owner might still have outstanding obligations though. So you really want to check it's clear, because otherwise it could end up being IMEI blacklisted for all carriers. Which makes it useless as a phone, and only the original carrier can possibly change that, like if an outstanding contract associated with the phone was fulfilled.
Im not buying it second hand privately im buying it from a store these checks will have already been done.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Ah ok.
A good site to help you find out if your device works for a specific carrier is
http://willmyphonework.net

Is your pixel that you bought originally from Google or Verizon or another carrier?
Ive not bought it yet. These are just questions i had while looking around. Based on cheapest price if i do go ahead itll likely be from EE.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones