1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Bootloader?

1. haut92

haut92 Well-Known Member

So, is this bootloader going to be unlocked or should I wait for the nexus?

The bootloader is pretty much the only thing keeping me away from the razr... Is it that big of an issue? (no kernals right? what else is limited?) or will developers be able to find a way around it like usual?

Advertisement
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

IMO i don't think it will be unlocked.

Will you still see roms for it? Yes i think you will. A perfect example is the DX. Locked bootloader but had/has some great Mods available for it.
  3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

its a shame this bootloader isnt unlocked, however i think with the unlocked version overseas, it might be able to be implemented into the us razr, if the right dev gets their hands on it
  4. haut92

haut92 Well-Known Member

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving Y'all

Ya, but will it feel the same as an unlocked phone with unlocked bootloader? Every person I know with a rooted DX has had infinite more problems within the first month of roming than I ever had in 2+ years with a rooted OG droid.

Will it be able to use a new kernal/overclock or is that only if the fortress of a bootloader is broken?

I guess I am just not super familiar with the limitations of a locked bootloader on a rooted phone. Is it really even that big of a deal?
  5. ifh

ifh Active Member

Didn't want to create new thread. My question is the same: can one overclock the RAZR even though the bootloader is locked? I often read the answer is "no," but in another thread one person was saying he had overclocked his.

Thank you
  6. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

I think you can underclock it but not over, to save battery life. Not 100% sure though. To me,the phone is plenty fast enough so I don't see the real benefit of overclocking like I did with the OG. I'm not sure I wanna go ROM crazy with this like I did the OG, which could benefit from alot of changes. This thing is strong right out of the box. I would like to see some tweaking with the notification bar, do some underclocking to save batt, do some backups with CWM and other minor tweaks, freezes,etc. I just don't see me doing a ton of things to change this. Now if this were the Rezound, I'd be wanting to ditch that system ASAP! Blur I like though so I'm in no hurry. Just needs a few tweaks.:D
    jroc likes this.
  7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Have a look on XDA Dev section for the Razr, I think I saw something about overclocking recently.

With bootloader locked or not it will be possible anyway. I had the original droid, droid 2 (both EU versions) and even though they had a locked bootloader they were still overclockable.
    jroc likes this.
  8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^ Droid X1, Droid 2 also. Probably the DX2, D3 and Bionic too.

When the Droid X1 was first overclocked...the process was probably too intimidating for some. It got easier as time went by tho, some devs made apps.
  9. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

I've got a boot you can load