• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bootloader

mel4787

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2013
hmm i understand this is a difficult problem for all kyocera products with the bootloader being locked. well first if anyone can find a way to shell into the bootloader and kernel and somehow disable the security that be great. but unfortunately no one has found a way to do that. i hope it can be done soon. and to 2nd init yes it wont work. we have to find a different way to unlock this bad boy. even though everything was done on the rise i feel we are missing something important. why hasn't anyone dump the whole event phone onto a computer and use the dd command to bring everything back on the phone when the necessary mods have been done? most of us do everything on the phone to unlock it. why not go at it a different way and compare files with other phones? see what is in the file and kernel and make the changes to both of them instead of modding one and having it brick. its a viable idea, but who knows. it might not work. i hope it does to get rid of the security function in the os, kernel, and bootloader. the keys yes they check everything. but if we somehow wipe the security in all three things we might have hope. what do others say?

When you "dump the phone" using dd, you get machine code. Most people working on cellphone mods can't read machine code for any CPU. We gave that up when assemblers were invented, back in the 60s or 70s (it's been too long a time to remember accurately). Even though I've written assemblers in machine code, it would still take quite a while to get back into that "mode" - and that's for one specific CPU. Change the CPU you're working on and the code is completely different.

You're thinking source code - that's not in the phone, so you can't dunp it. You don't get a bunch of C files for the kernel, for example, even if it's written in C. You get numbers from 00 to FF. Row after row of them. I don't think anyone is going to want to modify that.

Upvote 0
well do you think if we found a way to read the binary code itll give us a clue to unlocking the phone properly. it may be the only way to get that to unlock. even though no one may want to modify the numbers, but if there were a way to do that, could yo usee it as a viable option to unlock it

Upvote 0
Rukbat is correct. Trying to reverse engineer machine code would take a long, LONG time. What you propose is an option, but it's just crazy to go through all that trouble when there is an easier way. The easiest way is to get Kyocera to unlock the boot loader for us, which is impossible.

As for myself, I'll probably 'dump' my Event soon. I just ordered a LG Optimus F3 from amazon for $78. Should be in my hands on Friday. I may or may not sell my Event... might keep it as another backup along with my LG Optimus V, as it may not be worth much to sell at this point. I think the Shacks inare selling it for $20 in stores right now, so if you want to do some machine code reverse engineering to unlock the bootloader, buy a bunch now and lock yourself down in a nuclear bunker until you (and maybe a few close friends that are willing) come up with a solution. :D ;)

Upvote 0
Rukbat is correct. Trying to reverse engineer machine code would take a long, LONG time. What you propose is an option, but it's just crazy to go through all that trouble when there is an easier way. The easiest way is to get Kyocera to unlock the boot loader for us, which is impossible.

As for myself, I'll probably 'dump' my Event soon. I just ordered a LG Optimus F3 from amazon for $78. Should be in my hands on Friday. I may or may not sell my Event... might keep it as another backup along with my LG Optimus V, as it may not be worth much to sell at this point. I think the Shacks inare selling it for $20 in stores right now, so if you want to do some machine code reverse engineering to unlock the bootloader, buy a bunch now and lock yourself down in a nuclear bunker until you (and maybe a few close friends that are willing) come up with a solution. :D ;)

lol thanks for explaining that. well guess kyocera is lost completely. i only use their devices for gaming phones lol since they are stubborn as hell. what have you heard from kyocera on their phones? how many complaints have they gotten?

Upvote 0
lol well i use 2 phones my galaxy rush and the warp sequent. love them both

Loving my new F3! ATM I'm not taking it around yet or activated it on VM. It's great as a 'mini tablet' on WiFi. I got one with the v5 software which should allow me to install CWM recovery once it's rooted. Some dev managed to get that on even with the F3's locked bootloader via a Loki exploit! Just waiting for a 64 gb card, screen protector and case to arrive, then it can run wild!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones