bootloop after flashing kernals

Last Updated:

1. itsme1

itsme1 Member This Topic's Starter

So i have tried flashing several kernals with different ROMs, but more often than not, my phone just ends up restarting over and over. after i boot it, when i flash the kernal, I would be playing with it then all of a sudden it would freeze up on me and start boot looping. I have cleared the dalvik and cache before flashing ROMs and kernal. I rooted via 3.21 unrevoked and it says on the top of hboot s-off. The only kernal that has worked is netarchy-toastmod 4.1.8 bfs. any idea what i could be doing wrong?

Advertisement
  2. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

wipe all data first, then clean both caches, then flash...

3. itsme1

Did that and still bootlooped. These are the steps I do before I flash. Using clockwork 2. 5. 01.
    1. Hit data/factory reset
    2. Hit clear cache partition
    3. Go to advanced then click clear dalvik cache(nothing usually shows up on screen when I do this)
    4. Flash kernel
    5. Reboot
    6. Bootloop
    Am I doing anything wrong....

4. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

I have had this problem and solved it by only wiping cache and dalvik, but leaving the data alone. You can read through my thread here it describes my problem (the same as yours) and how i went about fixing it. Good luck!

5. exclamation_mark

In order to get the bootloop to stop i had to restore a nand that i made before i tried to flash the new kernel. You may have to do this also. But if your EVO is working and you go to try and flash a new kernel then you should be fine doing it the way i described above. (flashing cache and dalvik, no data)

6. itsme1

Started up and worked fine for 5 min then locked up. Then began bootlooping again. I'm beginning to think it might be something I did wrong in the rooting process. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

7. exclamation_mark

Is it booting up and then having the problem? like are you able to actually use it then it starts BL? Or is it starting the BL on while still in the boot animation?

8. itsme1

Yeah it boots up all the way and I use it for a bit then it locks up. Then after it locks up it starts to BL and I have to take the battery out since it won't stop.

9. exclamation_mark

Do you have any sort of overclocking app like Setcpu?

10. itsme1

not on the new ROM i am trying to flash to. The ROM works perfectly fine w/o trying to flash a new kernel and haven't downloaded any new apps than what i comes with. i am trying to use ROM-"Myn

11. exclamation_mark

And the bootloop happens on every ROM you try to flash a new kernel to or just that one?

12. itsme1

its happened to like 2 roms with 2-3 different kernels. The only successful Kernel that i flashed was with Netarchy-toastmod 4.1.8 bfs on the 3.26 stock ROM.

13. WaynesNside

WaynesNside Well-Known Member

Just read your post...I thought you only need to wipe data is when your installing a whole new ROM? When flashing Kernal and radios just wipe the caches?????

14. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member

I had these problems with Kings Kernels and Netarchy-toastmod kernels. I think on some phones they are just unstable. I tried out several more with the same problems and I finally found one that seems to work just fine on my phone. The Snap 7.6 Turbo kernel for CM6.

15. itsme1

your running cm6 correct? how is the battery life with that kernal....

16. exclamation_mark

That's correct, though some people do still wipe data. I dont because that is what was causing my BL problem. Honestly most of the time i dont even wipe before flashing kernels. I have had no ill effect from flashing kernels after i stopped wiping data.

WaynesNside likes this.
  17. exclamation_mark

Are you trying the CFS ones? I know that personally the BFS ones are much less stable on my EVO than the CFS.

18. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

19. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member

Hard to say actually I kinda gave up on measuring, I've been in Phoenix AZ for the last 4 weeks and ALL cell service sucks terrible down there and just eats the hell out of the battery. I'm gonna give it say...10 hours battery life with moderate to heavy usage. That doesn't bother me though.

20. vmwareee

vmwareee New Member

I was having the same problem with BL. Using Fresh 3.3.0.1.

Only kernel that would work is netarchy 4.8.x and 4.9.x. I could not flash any other kernel. All would give me BL.

Here is how to fix it.

#1 First to a nandroid backup of the working system.

#2 Boot in to recovery.

#3 Do an nandroid restore of the system you just backuped in step #1.

#4 Without rebooting the phone, still in recovery, flash the new kernel.

After many hours of trying different kernels and getting constant BL, I have tested the above method with about 5 different kernels and it works everytime.

21. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

That seems like to many steps to flash a Kernel,really unnecessary IMO, you are problably getting all that BL cause you didn't mentioned in your steps wiping both of your caches and that a must do when flashing a Kernel.

22. biblefreak

biblefreak Well-Known Member

A couple of things you can try. First, try using amon ra recovery. Second, I have heard people mention on xda that some evos don't like the aggressive undervolting in a lot of the current havs kernels. Try netarchy's less aggressive kernel and see if that helps.

23. vmwareee

vmwareee New Member

You think I would waste my time posting the steps if I had not tried all the possible steps?

I have rinsed,wiped and repeated..... Nothing helps.

Read the above posts and you will see that lots of others are have the same problem. Wipe cache partition and davlik cache does not help.

Not sure what the issues but lots of users have this problem.

I have tried with Clockwork and Amon Ra and both produce BL.

Only the steps that I have mentioned have worked consistently.

I agree its lots of steps but it works....