• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I figured it out, it's not that that has to be checked (well that is part of it).

It has to do with the notification sound that you use.

I was using Captains Log for my sounds and notifications. I changed the notification sound to Droid and that's what I hear now when I boot up the phone. So the boot up sound is based on your notifications sound.

Upvote 0
which sucks, because I would really like to further customize my sounds.

When the phone boots up, I want Vader's "What is thy bidding, my master". Which makes absolutely no sense for any other notification on the phone

A shut down sound would be great to....C3po's "Sir if you'll not be needing me I'll close down for a while" would be awsome.

Or just lightsaber ignition and close down for those two tasks as well....sigh, sadly it's not possible as far as i can tell.

Upvote 0
My understanding (could be wrong):
The startup sound is actually associated with the mounting of the SDCard, which occurs at the end of the startup cycle. In order for it to occur, your notification sounds need to be turned on and the SDCard notification box needs to be checked. I have a rooted phone and it sounds off at the end of the boot up process.

It is possible that there was an earlier boot up sound that happened before my phone was rooted, but I have no idea at this time.

Hope this helps someone...

Upvote 0
I think I will take the plunge and root after the 2.1 update. Chief among the things I want to do is have my phone tether...which from what I gather is only possible after rooting.

To the best of my knowledge, root is only necessary if you want to tether via WIFI - Otherwise you can tether via USB or Bluetooth using the PdaNet application (found in the market).

Of course there are a lot of other reasons to root... :D

Upvote 0
My understanding (could be wrong):
The startup sound is actually associated with the mounting of the SDCard, which occurs at the end of the startup cycle. In order for it to occur, your notification sounds need to be turned on and the SDCard notification box needs to be checked. I have a rooted phone and it sounds off at the end of the boot up process.

It is possible that there was an earlier boot up sound that happened before my phone was rooted, but I have no idea at this time.

Hope this helps someone...

From what I understand there is no boot up sound. The sound we were all hearing was the SD card check after the phone boots up.

Upvote 0
an easier way would be to replace the Droid sound with another sound using the same name and extension

But for those using the stock notification "ringtone" for Messaging and Email, they would hear this sound then as well. That's no good. I'm talking about a file that play ONLY when the DROID boots. Much like the Windows startup wav file.

Upvote 0
I figured it out, it's not that that has to be checked (well that is part of it).

It has to do with the notification sound that you use.

I was using Captains Log for my sounds and notifications. I changed the notification sound to Droid and that's what I hear now when I boot up the phone. So the boot up sound is based on your notifications sound.

I've done both of these things and I still dont get a boot up sound. I did the very first day I had my droid but never since then... odd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones