bottom buttons lighting up...

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

anyone know if there is a reason why at times the bottom row of buttons (home/back/menu/search) are lit up and other times they aren't? i looked for an adjustment to this but i couldn't find anything.. was a lil bothersome when i was messing with the phone in the dark and had to guess where they were. is this common?

Advertisement
  2. pmmartin

pmmartin Member

Common with mine. I hope you get a good answer as I could use it too.

3. mully

mully Well-Known Member

I think they are tied into the issue with the keyboard lights. lock your screen then unlock it again and they should light up. Started happening after the 2.0.1 update.

4. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

k :p thank you!

5. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

if you set your backlight to AUTO dim, they should always stay on in the dark ;)

6. N2Stooges

N2Stooges Member

I am having the same problem. I noticed a couple of times that the buttons were not illuminated after unlocking the phone then would mysteriously turn on after about 30 seconds. Now, the buttons won't light up at all.

I tried to set the display brightness to Auto and Manual...no help.

Any other ideas?

7. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

They are off when your in light and on when your in darkness. Its a feature.

8. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

+1 it IS a feature to save your battery. If you are in a well lit room, you don't need the soft keys to light up. :)

9. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

Bugged me with my seriously bad eyesight but with rooted phone I can use LEDs hack and make the stupid lights come on at will and STAY ON! My life is good again.

10. itsHumble

itsHumble Member

Pretty sure it's tied to the same feature that turns off your screen when your phone is close to you face. That same sensor picks up on light. I've noticed this when at work at night, outside smoking, going in and out of light.

11. N2Stooges

N2Stooges Member

OK, so this does appear to be a design feature of the phone... turn on bottom button backlight only when in low-light conditions. Does anyone know of a way to disable this "feature" so that the buttons are always illuminated as long as the phone is unlocked?

12. qwery53

qwery53 Member

Forget the light conditions. In the same great light conditions in my office. I put the phone in my hand flat so it does not cover the light sensors in the front then gently press the button some times the lights will go on and sometimes they won't until like 30 sec pass. SAME light conditions. It is not a feature it is a BUG!
    Any ideas. And NO I will not root my phone to fix htc's stupid bug.
    If I wanted to do that I would get an iphone and jailbreak it. WAY more stable then the "Incredible" and with it jailbroken I will not be in "paded cell" anymore. But I want THIS phone to work.

13. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

As I understand it, it uses both the light sensor in front and the camera in back to determine light conditions.