Bottom ButtonsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else notice the back/return button not being as responsive? I have a screen protector on at the moment but noticed some issues prior to it as well. Is there a way to adjust sensitivity for the bottom buttons?

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

I've definately noticed you have to press multiple times once in a while. Seems to be the only place on the screen like that. As far as I've found there's no sensitivity settings. I'd love to tweak them though.

3. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member

Do you know for a fact that it's just not responding? or is an app or something you have open making the phone lag? I've had a couple of lag issues where pushing the back button didn't do anything, so I'd push it 2 or 3 more times. Then all of a sudden it backed up 3 times.

4. larry996

larry996 New Member

the problem I have is at night the "soft keys" go out before the back light. Annoying as heck!

5. jessejlt

jessejlt Member

Those soft keys, and the lack of Froyo, are the only things I'm unhappy with in regards to the phone.

6. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I found that if you click on the screen first then work with the keys/buttons response is much better. However, if you start with the buttons, this is where the multiple attempts are needed and result in unwanted back steps.

PaulMcCartney and Zino_BeholdII like this.
  7. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Well-Known Member

I've notice the same thing, but have also noticed that if i tap just above the button label instead of right on it, it works better.

8. tonyc

tonyc Member

This is absolutely driving me nuts.. I tend to press again thinking button wasn't registered and it backs out too far.. Next time, I press once, and sit there waiting for something to happen.. and nothing happens..

I'd hate to return this for the iphone. Really hope there is some simple SW fix for it, but I need to decide in next couple of weeks before the end of the 30day.

9. gr4v3r

gr4v3r Active Member

bump for same issue, does anyone know if it's been fixed? I HATE this issue but love the phone. Should i try exchanging the phone or is there nothing that can be done?

10. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

i don't think exchanging the phone will do anything - it looks like so many people, including me, are experiencing the same issue.

it drives me nuts. it would help a bit if the backlight would stay on at least.

11. djgibbsjr

djgibbsjr Active Member

well, I can see this being an easy software fix for samsung. Let's hope our hollers are loud enough for their ears to hear!!!

12. matt310

matt310 Active Member

My replacement Captivate with a build date of 8/26/10 has this very issue with the back button. It seems that the area around it is not as responsive to touch as the other buttons.

How are your phones' back buttons? Less responsive than the other soft keys?

13. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

I've found that my buttons became more responsive all around when I started using LauncherPro. Perhaps it's just a lag issue present in the TouchWiz software? Or are you using a different launcher already?

EDIT: The back button is definitely not as good as the other three, though... Could be since we use it more?

14. matt310

matt310 Active Member

I use LauncherPro as well (love it). Since this phone is brand new I don't think in my case it has to do with one part of the screen being used more than the other.

My original phone (build date 7/12/10) did not have any issues with any of the soft buttons. Perhaps this is why it's that much more noticeable on the replacement. So much for later-build phones being better!

I hope Froyo fixes this. But given the variance among phones, I'm not sure what it would actually do to solve it.

15. sero

sero Well-Known Member

my back button does this all the time and it drives me absolutely nuts cuz its by far the one u use the most!

16. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

I prefer physical buttons for that reason.

17. glaze76

glaze76 New Member

iPhone does the same thing...

18. u0berdev

u0berdev Member

I have noticed these issues:

• when my hands are cold, the buttons are less responsive*
    • when the buttons backlights go out, they are less responsive*
    • when I touch the screen to relight the buttons, they become more responsive*
    *this doesn't happen ALL the time, but enough to warrant an issue.

I agree, physical buttons do provide the benefit of tactile feedback and typically good responsiveness. I guess a benefit of touch buttons is they should "technically" never wear out.

But they need to be responsive for sure, and I'm afraid the Captivate's are lacking. Not enough though to make me despise using my phone though. ;)

19. matt310

matt310 Active Member

I just wonder why the button feedback and sensory input is inconsistent.

I just tried a test, pushing each soft key 10 times, to see how many of 10 actually register:

left button (whatever that one's called) : 8/10
    home button: 10/10
    back button: 5/10
    search button: 9/10

Trying to explain this one to Samsung's tech support is just not something I'm going to do.