• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bottom of handset creaking occasionally

OP, try closing that battery cover lock TIGHT, push it tight all the way up. If you do not push it strong enough, the lock (bottom part that moves) does not get firmly fixed in place, and sometimes makes this creaking sound.
Basically when you are putting the battery cover back on, press it up firmly (so the upper edge of the batt cover is snuggly in place), hold it with one hand, then push up the lock firmly.

Upvote 0
OP, try closing that battery cover lock TIGHT, push it tight all the way up. If you do not push it strong enough, the lock (bottom part that moves) does not get firmly fixed in place, and sometimes makes this creaking sound.
Basically when you are putting the battery cover back on, press it up firmly (so the upper edge of the batt cover is snuggly in place), hold it with one hand, then push up the lock firmly.

no this doesn't help the phone is built like crap

Upvote 0
I know people complain that the iphone does not have a removable battery. Since getting my captivate, I now realize that one of the benefits of a fixed battery is that the phone is very solid. I never had any creaks or noises with either of my iphones.

The captivate certainly has a lot of pros. Build quality does not seem to be one of them. I kind of wish apple didn't screw up the iphone 4 so badly. Either that, or I wish at&t had something similar to the evo or droidx.

Oh well, I'll just have to get ANOTHER captivate and keep my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd bump this up with a quick fix. My bottom plastic latch creaks whenever I press down (pushing from the back towards the front of the phone) on it like there's a gap somewhere under it. I had a "revelation" and decided to tear a business card in half and stick it between the battery and the battery cover towards the lower latch. Latched it back up and it stopped the creaking!

Upvote 0
Since you bumped this, I figure I'll give an update. I did return my Captivate for a new one. I've had the new one for probably a couple weeks now. I havent heard any creaking with this new one, although I am using a body glove case. I def recommend that people keep taking the handset back until they get one they are satisfied with.

Upvote 0
I push and squeeze on my GF not my phone. She does creek sometimes, but it is ok.
Phone is a sophisticated piece of sensitive electronics, do not abuse it guys.

In other news, my washer was installed 5 years ago, and it "walks" and vibrates like crazy in spin mode. I had planned to buy rubber feet for it all this time, but never got to it. I however never planned to exchange the washer and see if a new one "walks".

Upvote 0
Hmmm...I didn't know this was an error on Samsung's part because the first phone I had creaked (bottom battery latch) and the new one does as well. I thought that the replacement phone wouldn't creak but since it did I figured that ALL the phones were built sloppy or whatever.

With a case on, you don't hear it anymore. I used to have it creak, but after I put it on, I didn't hear anything since.

I have the bodyglove case on mine and it still creaks, but not nearly as much as without the case lol. This "fix (or hide) it with a case" idea sounds very familiar :rolleyes:

Thought I'd bump this up with a quick fix. My bottom plastic latch creaks whenever I press down (pushing from the back towards the front of the phone) on it like there's a gap somewhere under it. I had a "revelation" and decided to tear a business card in half and stick it between the battery and the battery cover towards the lower latch. Latched it back up and it stopped the creaking!

Tried this and it actually works...the funny part is that the only business card I had in my wallet was an Apple salesman's card that he gave me when I got the iPhone 4 on launch day lol. So now when you slide the back cover off my captivate you immediately see a shiny Apple logo XD.
P.S. before anyone starts sending me hatemail, I RETURNED the iP4 so I could get the captivate; I don't have both.

Upvote 0
LoL! I find this thread amusing for reasons said above. A mechanical part of your phone creaks when you push on it?! LoL! Take it back, that obviously means the whole phone was poorly manufactured, in fact post your battery date so all who have the same can preemptively return their phones before they suffer the same fate. :p

Upvote 0
MY captivate doesnt creak but it sort of clicks, on the left side of the screen where the thin peice of plastic is next to the volume rocker. Also at the bottom of the phone. I sort of freake dout and took off my body glove case to check it. No cracks just the case making noises. Past my 30 days so not gonna worry about it.

Upvote 0
Mine did this a lot. I stuck a dollar bill back behind the battery cover and it stopped completely. I think the problem was that the battery was not perfectly sized for the phone.
Now, if you lose your phone, you not only lose a 500 dollar Captivate, but you also lose the dollar bill that's in the battery slot...These things must be considered

Upvote 0
Mine did this a lot. I stuck a dollar bill back behind the battery cover and it stopped completely. I think the problem was that the battery was not perfectly sized for the phone.

LOL I just tried this and it worked but all i had was a 10$ bill. Wow i cant beleive the fix was that simple. My milestone had the same thing on the battery door but motorola installed a pad on the battery door

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones