• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought a Nexus S, it's only an updated Captivate

dell21

Sep 23, 2010
My Nexus S is just like my Captivate with Cognition 2.3b8, but the nexus s has perfect GPS. Once the official Froyo update comes out, the Nexus S will actually be a worse phone than the Captivate.

Yes I know it has vanilla android, but Samsung shafted Google with some of the hardware omissions. While putting my applications on the phone, I had to become aware of the storage space available for apps, something I never paid attention to on my Captivate. No auto focus or HD recording on the camera is ridiculous, no digital zoom is criminal.

The Nexus S began to remind me of my Iphone 3g with all the limitations, no video player?! WTF! The Captivate can play all video codecs, I had to go find the only video player in the market that worked with the Nexus S. Let me tell you something, 2.3 GINGERBREAD IS STILL A BETA! Nothing works with it yet, not even the new market. It's like windows vista was when it first released, a lot of compatibility issues.

I will be returning this Nexus S since I have a better phone in the Captivate.

Upvote 0
My Nexus S is just like my Captivate with Cognition 2.3b8, but the nexus s has perfect GPS. Once the official Froyo update comes out, the Nexus S will actually be a worse phone than the Captivate.

Yes I know it has vanilla android, but Samsung shafted Google with some of the hardware omissions. While putting my applications on the phone, I had to become aware of the storage space available for apps, something I never paid attention to on my Captivate. No auto focus or HD recording on the camera is ridiculous, no digital zoom is criminal.

The Nexus S began to remind me of my Iphone 3g with all the limitations, no video player?! WTF! The Captivate can play all video codecs, I had to go find the only video player in the market that worked with the Nexus S. Let me tell you something, 2.3 GINGERBREAD IS STILL A BETA! Nothing works with it yet, not even the new market. It's like windows vista was when it first released, a lot of compatibility issues.

Yeah, you're right yet everyone on every other thread is cursing the Captivate and blaming it on the God-given Nexus S for having "stolen" all of Samsung's attention and effort. They need to read your post.
The Captivate is not a bad phone.

Upvote 0

I am still unsure why people feel that Samsung burned google with this phone. Do you really believe that Google had no idea what was going on? Google had all the say as to what device they were launching a flagship OS on, believe that. There is no way that Google didn't know what the specs of the device would be, if Google is the size of America, Samsung is Vermont. Samsung is not hustling anyone.

Upvote 0
Will 2.2 fix this horrific lag issue

Honestly man I doubt it, when I flashed the AT&T froyo leak the lag was exactly the same after about an hour of playing around. I realize its a beta but the lag is due to their fat file system its just a terrible flaw of the phone. All the roms that do not have lag have ext4 a all around better file system. Same reason my Linux PC will smoke any windowz machine.

Upvote 0
Honestly man I doubt it, when I flashed the AT&T froyo leak the lag was exactly the same after about an hour of playing around. I realize its a beta but the lag is due to their fat file system its just a terrible flaw of the phone. All the roms that do not have lag have ext4 a all around better file system. Same reason my Linux PC will smoke any windowz machine.

That's crazy....i know my first phone didn't have any lag at all but it would start up an wouldn't find a signal.

Upvote 0
I'm really enjoying my Captivate. It's been fast & fun.

That said I'm really eager to move up in display size, so I plan to buy the HTC Inspire 4G, upon release.

My highest priority is a large display to enjoy. Everything else is of little consequence.

A big display is great and all but if the phone's functions are crap it wouldn't matter what the display size is.

Upvote 0
Wow, I sense some hostility in the air....

Please go back and edit your posts (to anyone who may have crossed a line). As a reminder of the FORUM RULES, attacking users is NOT permitted; discussing both sides to a topic is ALWAYS allowed though.

I'll be ASSUMING that all users are aware of the forum rules and will be EXPECTING infractions/bans if these simple rules cannot be adhered to.

:)

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that the Nexus S feature set is exactly what Google asked for. They contracted Samsung to make it to their specifications. Yea I agree that it seems like a downgrade from a captivate but I don't think Captivate owners that are still in the first half of a 2 year contract were the target audience for this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones