Bought my Sprint Hero in sept, how does the add a line upgrade work?

Last Updated:

1. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I can't wait to upgrade from my hero to the Evo. I love the hero but wish it could do a bit more.

How does the add a line work? I know i am not due for a upgrade for awhile, and trying to see if there is a cheaper way of just paying full retail vs a upgrade though another line and cancel my old if that is possible?

Also are there any features on the evo that the incredible does not have?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

You would have to switch to a family plan to add another line, swap phones, and cancel the new line to switch back.

EVO vs. Incredible:
    It has been covered many times on this forum but I will give you a quick sum.
    4.3" vs. 3.7"
    WiMAX on the EVO and 8 device hotspot
    More ROM on the EVO
    Kickstand on the EVO
    No trackball or trackpad on the EVO
    1.3MP Front camera on the EVO

3. Ashenor

Thanks for the reply. I have not really looked at the incredible much but i know the evo stats. Glad to know its worth waiting for the upgrade, can't wait for the bigger screen.

So with switching to the family plan, when its all said and done am i going to have to pay anymore then i currently am? I have the everything 400 plan thats $70 and get a 20% discount so i pay around $55 for it currently.

Thanks again for the reply

4. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

I think as long as you do everything within 30 days you either have to pay for one month or not at all. I'm really not completely sure. The lowest family plan is $129 a month.

5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

The cheapest family plan is $129.99 for 1500 shared daytime landline minutes, free calls to cell phones, free after 7pm, free on weekends, unlimited data, unlimited nav, and unlimited text.

Not sure it's worth paying for two lines just to get a subsidy. You will end up paying the difference, just spread out over time. Better to just suck it up and buy the Evo with less subsidies if you really want it. Alternately, just wait. There will be something new out in 6-8 months I'm sure :)

6. Ashenor

Ya hopefully its not over $450ish for the evo with no contract. My hero is in great shape so i am sure i can get $150+ out of it.

7. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

He can do an ESN swap on his main line and cancel the new line within 30 days during the trial. I don't know if they would refund it though considering he did an ESN swap :D.

I don't see it being under $600 off contract.

8. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yea as much as i love the evo, there will be something better come Christmas time 2010, maybe earlier. when your upgrade is around you'll have a much more clear picture of what to get, froyo will be the standard and carriers will be pumping out new phones like mad.

i personally am getting the evo because i've been off contract for 3 months now and cannot wait another day after the evo launch for a new phone. but their selection now is not so great else i would have a new phone

9. Ashenor

I give you credit with sticking with the instinct for so long! I had it before my hero heh.

10. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is no way this will be less than $600 off contract. If Sprint had cheaper plans for BYO phones then I would buy full price every time but since they charge the same per month there is no real incentive to bring your own phone. TMo is the only one who does this right. If you aren't repaying a subsidy your plan should cost less.

As far as waiting, trust me, it's worth it. The Evo will get cheaper. New phones will come out. You will be laughing when there is something better in 6 months and the rest of us are only halfway through our year.

11. zaaye

zaaye Well-Known Member

Same here. Now that my wife has the hero and I can really see how slow my instinct is. I HATE IT. Original m800. Stinks!