Bought phone in Sprint store, get EVO somewhere else?

Last Updated:

1. dwd3885

dwd3885 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I purchased a Blackberry yesterday and signed up for a new 2-year plan from Sprint. I am a NEW customer. I wanted the EVO but they were out of stock and I needed to switch carriers soon, so I did it.

Now, can I buy the EVO (assuming I can find it) within the next 30 days from somewhere else and then return my BB to the Sprint store so that I can still get the upgrade price for the EVO?

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

you can just return your bb on the 30th day and get a full refund. you can then go and grab an evo from wirefly, walmart,, costco, etc etc.. wherever you can find one and sign up again with no penalty...citing the bb was just not for your needs...

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

If you bought it at Sprint, you have to go through Sprint.

Have you tried calling in to Sprint Telesales to see if they can set up an exchange for you?

4. dwd3885

telesales said I would have to pay a $35 restocking fee, but the guy in store said I wouldn't have to since I'm a new customer. Also, I am only asking this because I'm a little worried I won't be able to find an EVO within 30 days and Best Buy does ordering for you and it would be there between 7-10 days.

5. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've been on Sprint since 1999, so I can't even remember what it's like to be a new customer for them.

Did you port over the number you currently have on your Blackberry? If it's a number that you don't mind losing, I'd do exactly what marctronixx recommended.

6. dwd3885

the problem with marctronixx solution is that i would be out a phone after returning the blackberry and finding an evo

7. dwd3885

it's available at amazon now (well you can at least order it). could i buy it from amazon at full price, return the blackberry, and then get a 'credit' for the new upgrade price?

8. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

If you can deal with the hassle, buy the cheapest pay as you go phone if you have to wait.

But FYI. I was in similar situation. Was kicked off by Helio, had to go to Sprint by May 25. I got he Hero and gave back June 4. I did pay the restocking fee but didn't really mind.

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

supposedly...if you return the phone to sprint and don't buy an Evo or other phone right then and there...you may have to wait up to 4 weeks for your contract status to get changed back.

10. dwd3885

i see. so is the best bet just to keep calling the sprint corporate stores in my area and hope they get an evo within 30 days so i can get one and exchange?

11. chill145

chill145 Well-Known Member

i'm out of state now, so what if i buy a phone in let's say michigan at a radio shack and 30 days later i'm in new york, can i return it at a radio shack in new york or does it have to go back to the exact same store i got it.

12. brumac

brumac Member

If you are a new customer Sprint will put you at the front of the waiting list for the Evo. I started off with a Palm Pre but went back after about 2 weeks because it would not do some of the things I needed. They told me the wait list for new customers was about 1-2 weeks. On the list on Thursday and I got a call on Saturday saying the phone was in. Again, they indicated to me in the store that they would move me to the top of the list to get the Evo before the 30 days was up so long as I wasn't waiting until just a few days before the 30 days was up.

13. dwd3885

All my sprint stores say they don't have waiting lists, it's just first come first serve whenever they get Evos in stock.