• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought used Inc still 1 yr warranty?

I believe it does, there are a couple people on here that have gotten warranty replacements after buying through a private party.

They might have gotten lucky, But once you transfer the phone to a different account, it's no longer covered.

The warranty is none transferable, but Verizon will sometimes still honor it.

Upvote 0
The 1 year product warranty is for the product itself and not the purchaser of the product. It shouldn't matter how you acquired the product but as long as it is within the 1 year period the manufacturer has to honor it. The product should be free from any manufacturing defect and if there is an inherent manufacturing defect with the product within that 1 year period then HTC is liable to make the repairs/replace. Verizon may have a different policy but HTC is liable for the products it places in the stream of commerce. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I would think this is true also. Anyone ever tried to contact HTC to ask? I called Verizon about it and they said no way.

I'm going to call HTC directly to verify with them as I am very curious myself (just bought a used INC).

The 1 year product warranty is for the product itself and not the purchaser of the product. It shouldn't matter how you acquired the product but as long as it is within the 1 year period the manufacturer has to honor it. The product should be free from any manufacturing defect and if there is an inherent manufacturing defect with the product within that 1 year period then HTC is liable to make the repairs/replace. Verizon may have a different policy but HTC is liable for the products it places in the stream of commerce. Good luck!

Upvote 0

I would think this is true also. Anyone ever tried to contact HTC to ask? I called Verizon about it and they said no way.

I'm going to call HTC directly to verify with them as I am very curious myself (just bought a used INC).

http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Manual/Warranty/Android/0525_G_WarrantyEULA_76x126_US-BP.pdf
To quote: "This Limited Warranty is given only to the original purchaser of
theProduct (“Customer”)."

Which isn't to say it's not worth TRYING to get warranty service. But it's against policy, so don't expect anything.

Reactions: lilpadfoot16
Upvote 0
I just called HTC and they said warranty transfers.

Well, feel free to take that as a good sign, but the warranty still says it doesn't transfer. I just checked the one that came in the box, just to make sure it didn't change. It only covers the original owner, and can not be transfered or assigned. Either HTC is ignoring the terms of it's own warranty, or that rep was mistaken.

Also, since the warranty is enforced, so to speak, by Verizon, they may very well have the final say. I know that's the case with some other carriers/manufacturers.

The upshot here is, you might get lucky and they honor it. As r3dlined demonstrated, many HTC (and verizon) reps aren't familiar with the warranty terms. But the probably won't honor the warranty.

Upvote 0
Well, feel free to take that as a good sign, but the warranty still says it doesn't transfer. I just checked the one that came in the box, just to make sure it didn't change. It only covers the original owner, and can not be transfered or assigned. Either HTC is ignoring the terms of it's own warranty, or that rep was mistaken.

Also, since the warranty is enforced, so to speak, by Verizon, they may very well have the final say. I know that's the case with some other carriers/manufacturers.

The upshot here is, you might get lucky and they honor it. As r3dlined demonstrated, many HTC (and verizon) reps aren't familiar with the warranty terms. But they probably won't.

They replaced the incredible i got from ebay..i should be getting the replacement sometime today. cuz it was still under 1 year warranty

Upvote 0
I'll have to reword what I said. When I called HTC, I asked if I would get warranty through HTC themselves, not Verizon. Verizon said to me they absolutely would not cover it (though I'm sure there have been some special cases where they would).

The HTC department I needed to talk to to clarify was closed, but I will be following up on that today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones