• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brand new android user, help with a few apps

syvmn

May 12, 2012
Another fresh android user here. I used to be an Iphone guy but then I got better. I just picked up my brand spankin new HTC One X from the Mall of America about 2 hours ago and have been dinking around with it since then. The only 2 apps I've downloaded so far are Facebook and Dice Player. 720p MKV videos look AMAZING on this thing.

Anyway... I am a horticulturalist (glorified farmer) by trade. I work outside 9 months out of the year and weather is the one of the most important things I need my phone to do. I was wondering if there is a way to make one of the "Panels" dedicated to weather. I'd like to be able to just swipe to the left and have a multi-day forcast, 12 hour forcast, radar, wind speed, etc etc.

Does anyone have thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks for any help you can provide this giant noob.

Hi, first off, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new purchase. I think you are looking for a weather widget. These are the apps that live on the home screens, being an HTC device, you probably have a pretty swell Sense widget cooked right in there.

I know the HTC evo does. I would only assume that the One X does as well.

Good luck. :D

Upvote 0
If you would like another option than the weather widget that came with your phone, there are several good ones in the Android Play Store. You will find it in your app drawer under P for Play Store. My favorite is the Weatherbug app. It is free, or you can purchase Weatherbug Elite to lose the ads.

Upvote 0
Hate to be all nooby again, but whats the difference between a widget and an app?

A widget is a 'window' into the app that can be positioned on a 'panel'. For eg, the HTC music player has a 'Widget' that can be placed on a 'panel' to give you quick access to the music player. All widgets have apps, but not all apps have widgets (wondering if there is anything else I can say to make it even more confusing) :).

As for a weather app that provides 5 day forcasts, radars and much more can be found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.weather.Weather (Google Play link, safe) if you don't like the stock weather app that comes on the HTC.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
You might also try Beautiful Widgets (what I'm currently using as my weather widget) and Accuweather (what I'm currently using as my full featured weather app). I used Weather Channel for a while, but I think one of their updates started killing my battery-- it could have been another app. But I've been happy with the new combination.

Upvote 0
BeWeather is what you might like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather&hl=en

lkN21-jfO_v4lfa6LPt5yyEkWbSekumwPiwEY9K4M0B3KpZlfmzcA9Pojsyv-FE1n1ir=h230
51Bp5cgx0OPj-AWtoy7fz9PeywWeK9Xzm16T8pIJSeuW8wQ5KZA7GQJYFVBiVc4tuEU

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones