brand new captivate rebooted today....Support

Last Updated:

1. Stevessvt

Stevessvt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My less than week old captivate restarted itself today. I was driving to pick my daughter up, listening to Pandora and using the navigation. I was about 30 minutes in to a 45 minute trip. Was charging and listening through my stereo through auxiliary input of the stereo. Is this a sign of things to come? I was down to 40% charge at the time, and it worked perfect for the drive home.

Advertisement
  2. DarthHorus

DarthHorus New Member

May be similar but my day of release captivate would turn itself of 5 or 6 times a day. I brought it into AT&T, explained the problem and they gave me a brand new one.

3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to click on the "Report" button in your original post and request that a mod move your question to the Captivate - Support and Troubleshooting sub-forum. Your issue is likely to receive more visibility - and replies.

Stevessvt likes this.
  4. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I don't have personal (or anecdotal) experience with this issue, but found the following link which may be of help. I know it's a different device, but the three pages of replies may point you in the right direction. Ignore the boobs (if you can).

[Q] Random Reboots? - xda-developers

5. Stevessvt

Thanks for the link. Im reading it now.

And I chose not to ignore the boobs.

6. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

...and another (confused yet?)

Spontaneous Reboots

The one consistency is that there's no consistency.

7. Stevessvt

Well, I left the phone on my cars vent holder, turned on Pandora and started the navigation while I washed it today, and it was charging and playing through the headphone jack to my car stereo. Its mid to upper 80's today with a black interior. It took 1/2 hour to do, and it was frigging HOT in that car when I got done. It never skipped a beat. The only difference was I deleted Battery Booster and Lookout. I dont think it has anything to do with Lookout, but Battery Booster selectively shuts down proccesses to conserve battery power.

8. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

>>> ...but Battery Booster selectively shuts down proccesses to conserve battery power.

Anything that futzes with power management (including, IMO, certain settings native to the phone itself) can cause shutdown and reboot issues.

I hope you've nailed it and won't need to exchange the device.

9. cmfrtblynmb

cmfrtblynmb Member

Mine began random reboots after update. Before update, it worked for weeks without a single reboot. But after update, I get 4-5 random reboots

I guess it is software related. I am hoping 2.2 update solves this problem, otherwise I am screwed with this phone for 2 years

10. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Warranty exchange?

11. cmfrtblynmb

cmfrtblynmb Member

I really am doubtful about exchange. Samsung is really bad in these kind of situations. They would probably find a way to not to change the phone.

12. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

And I'm really doubtful that the official Froyo will remedy the situation, as leaked versions have not addressed this issue. Shutdowns are device-specific and not universal. Me? I'd exchange it now. And, I'd exchange it again if the replacement unit exhibited the same tendencies. Took me three tries before winding up with a stable unit. It is not native software related, although third party apps can and have caused power management issues.

As for dealing with Samsung - why would you? This is an issue for AT&T's Warranty group. Warranty claims are reserved for wireless devices owned 31-365 days. Deal with them...and don't fall for the "let's try a different battery" routine. Get past this nonsense by telling them that you tried that by swapping your battery with a friend's Captivate and it didn't help.