• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Brand New Froyo 2.3.13

Failed: Clean SBF -> rooted -> 2.3.13 (Stuck at "M")
Success (KEPT ROOT): Clean SBF -> rooted -> 2.3.09 (original leak) -> 2.3.13

Root originally done with Universal Androot, custom framework-res.apk seems to work, but services.jar doesn't seem to take effect, so most themes are essentially shot. Don't notice any difference except the lockscreen seems faster (could be placebo).

After messing with services.jar I wanted to flash back to a nandroid made immediately after installing 2.3.13, but restoring it failed (I may not have done the DX bootstrapper correctly), and a subsequent SBF attempt failed, hopefully because the battery is low. Right now I'm stuck waiting for my DX to recharge.

My advice? Start with a clean rooted 2.3.09, format /data and /cache but DON'T format /system, and don't modify this ROM yet unless you know what you're doing.

Worth it? Maybe not yet, but since all future ROMs will probably be based on this version, we might as well start getting used to whatever is changed.

Upvote 0
i dont see any reason to upgrade if there no differences?

Will why? You may not see it but I'm sure they have a different version for a reason. I've said it before , Don't expect big changes with the final from what we have. It probably has at least a few bug fixes and that's generally a good thing.

Now, Is battery manager working ?

Upvote 0
Will why? You may not see it but I'm sure they have a different version for a reason. I've said it before , Don't expect big changes with the final from what we have. It probably has at least a few bug fixes and that's generally a good thing.

Now, Is battery manager working ?

Piiman does have a good point. If there weren't any changes at all, why would "Team Black Hat" even give a release?

At first, I was wondering what the 'HUGE' changes were. We've always been running on Froyo and as stated 'THIS IS NOT A ROM'. So you shouldn't even be expecting some gdlk modifications to it in the first place.

I haven't installed yet, but I'm going to do so to actually see what's up - rather than ask about it. Doesn't seem like there's been any problems with it besides having to reroot (which shouldn't be a problem.)

Upvote 0
I guess I am hosed for now. I cannot get PC Mode to work. USB Mass storage works fine. When I switch to PC Mode, nothing happens. I used to get the Droid device to show up undre "My Computer". I assume I cannot go forward with the Droid2 rooting without PC Mode. Now, do I attempt to SBF or just wait this out?

EDIT: it appears maybe it is working. When I enable USB debugging, the DroidX icon goes away. I will try to go forward now

there's a new set of drivers "Moto connect" that work great. If you can't find them let me know I'll upload them some where. All you have to do is run the install and after you plug the phone to the USB it will load all the new drivers. The 2.2 leak broke them for me but this package made them all plat nice again.

I have a 64bit version if you need them . But I can't upload them until after I get home tonight.

Upvote 0
Piiman - With your "Will why?" question assuming you're commenting on mine. I'm still on 2.1 and *trying* to get to ANY version of froyo. I got lucky enough to finally get my X today (I mean yesterday). Not being patient, "soon to be released" isn't soon enough. : )

Nope I was replying to Soapinmouth but if your on 2.1 there are lots of good reasons to update to Froyo. But if i was in your position (just getting X) I might wait a little while for the official OTA. Get used to your X running a stable 2.1 so at least you know what's up. Then when you gets the 2.2 OTA you at least know its the update and not some hack you installed.

Personally I like trouble so I upgrade as soon as I know there is a fall back option. I'd be running this right now if I wasn't ready for bed when it came out last night:D

I'm so impatient I didn't even read your entire post until after I posted this rant and now I see it has nothing to do with what you were saying LOL

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I'll hold off until this has an easier way of installing. I'm liking my current froyo build just as is (jonathanmsims posted version)

What would/could be easier? You update from zip and re-root. As long as you have the drivers setup for the re-rooting its as easy as 1 2 3.:rolleyes:
I guess the root method could be easier but it's no harder than any other ADB method and it may not get easier, it depends on the exploit.

On a side note; if Linux is as easy to root as these phones seem to be I'd have to say Linux isn't as safe as all the Linux lovers like to claim. :eek:

Upvote 0
What would/could be easier? You update from zip and re-root. As long as you have the drivers setup for the re-rooting its as easy as 1 2 3.:rolleyes:
I guess the root method could be easier but it's no harder than any other ADB method and it may not get easier, it depends on the exploit.

On a side note; if Linux is as easy to root as these phones seem to be I'd have to say Linux isn't as safe as all the Linux lovers like to claim. :eek:

Having to re-root after having used the universal method is the deal-breaker for me. I have never used ADB nor do I want to risk messing anything up. :cool:

Sure I could sbf, but is it really worth the hassle? My phone is working perfect and I have root, using the older 2.2 leak.

I'm sure ROM Manager will eventually come with an easier way of doing this like it does with FlyX and the standard 2.2 version without deodex.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones