• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Brand New Froyo 2.3.13

why couldn't I wipe data and cache in recovery before I backup

If that makes you go through setup I guess it'll work. I would suggest a little testing before posting though:rolleyes: if not for that little snag it was a nice easy way to do the update for sure.

If somebody could do it so no data gets out its really a nice idea. One sucker...I mean daring individual can do all the updating, rooting ,theme ing and then make a back for distribution. It would really make it easy for the rest.

Upvote 0
I did an advanced system only and at first I had my info but it changed once it started syncing. Who's name is on your google account? Did you have to do the setup after you did the restore? If you come in to the phone after using his backup and your past the setup you will have his account. There is no way to get into the phone to do the backup without having setting your Google account during setup. I can tell you this he seems to have something for Footlocker :D

I didn't have to set up any accounts. I just checked my accounts and synced a couple times and I still only have my account info.

I hope his info isn't anywhere on my phone! I don't see any new sneaker offers yet.

Upvote 0
I didn't have to set up any accounts. I just checked my accounts and synced a couple times and I still only have my account info.

I hope his info isn't anywhere on my phone! I don't see any new sneaker offers yet.

I didn't setup any accounts either. Thats the problem it was a backup with his account info. It had two email accounts one was Googles (His) and another that uses the other email client (that red one it uses the same email account just a different client) I noticed it because I had a Google Account sign on failure on the notification bar. So I checked the accounts and found his accounts and none of mine.. The Google account was failing to sign on and I'm think it was because somehow it is tied to your phone but the other client even had an email pushed to it.

Trust me he doesn't want this out there.

Upvote 0
For people having trouble getting root back using the droid 2 method try this

there's a comment on the RootzWiki D2 page which has the missing steps:

fixes in bold:
- let the process run until it returns you to c:/Droid2Root
- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit

- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /system/bin/su
- adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox
- adb shell
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- sync

- exit

Reactions: Arative
Upvote 0
Anyone know why this isn't working?

C:\Users\Eric>cd c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-win
dows\tools

c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb de
vices
List of devices attached
015********* (I removed the rest, I don't know if it's sensitive information) device

c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>cd c:/
Droid2Root

c:\Droid2Root>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstth
ecage-arm5.bin
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

c:\Droid2Root>

Upvote 0
I didn't setup any accounts either. Thats the problem it was a backup with his account info. It had two email accounts one was Googles (His) and another that uses the other email client (that red one it uses the same email account just a different client) I noticed it because I had a Google Account sign on failure on the notification bar. So I checked the accounts and found his accounts and none of mine.. The Google account was failing to sign on and I'm think it was because somehow it is tied to your phone but the other client even had an email pushed to it.

Trust me he doesn't want this out there.

I trust you. Just want to be sure his accounts aren't on mine

Upvote 0

C:\Users\Eric>cd c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-win
dows\tools

c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb de
vices
List of devices attached
015********* (I removed the rest, I don't know if it's sensitive information) device

c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>cd c:/
Droid2Root

c:\Droid2Root>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstth
ecage-arm5.bin

You have to run the adb command from the \sdk\tools directory

My guess would be something like:

c:\Users\Eric\Downloads\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push c:\Droid2Root\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

Can anyone else verify?

Upvote 0

dows\tools

vices
List of devices attached

Droid2Root

ecage-arm5.bin

You need to be in the android-sdk-windows\tools folder for the 'adb' command to work.

Upvote 0

dows\tools

vices
List of devices attached

Droid2Root

ecage-arm5.bin

The instruction have an error. Once you cd away from the Tools directory the command can't find adb (because it is in the tools directory and now you're in Droid2Root.) The easiest thing to do is to unrar it to the tools directory (or where ever your adb.exe is) and not Droid2root then the commands work.

OH I see 8 people beat me to it already. Nothing to see here move along :)

Upvote 0
ya got a link for how to do that?

Um, I don't but I can explain it, at least for Win 7 (probably the same on Vista)

Right click my computer, properties.

Go to advanced system settings on the left, environmental variables in the advanced tab.

In system variables (bottom list), scroll down to PATH, and the variable value will have a semicolon separated list of folders that are in your PATH.

Add you SDK tools folder to that tab using the same syntax, and save and apply.

Not sure if you need to do a reboot or not, but afterwards, you should be able to use adb (or anything else you put in the tools folder) from any folder via the command prompt.

Reactions: jroc and D13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones