• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

brand new motorola droid.

nateo200

Android Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2009
So I just got my first smartphone. I've always been always been on top of things technology wise but I waited for verizon to get android based phones before I bought anything. Boy am I happy I like this phone better than the iphone when I tried one not to mention I had an ipod touch as well. One thing I noticed is even on standby my battery gets eaten alive. Left my droid on standby for 5 hours and it dropped thirty percent.....is this normal? Sorry I'm just trying to make sure my phones battery is normal. Also how can I copy and paste? Thanks. Boy I feel like an old guy asking these questions and I'm only 16.

I'll ditto the battery conditioning statement..

My battery is getting better and better..

Still, this device is much more than a phone. "Phone calls" are just ONE thing it accomplishes. It DOES A LOT more, (but you know that) :) The battery won't last as long as our old "one task" cell phones..

With a wall charger (which can be used with a PC too), and car charger, you should have ample opportunity to keep it charged and ready for hours of use..

FC

Upvote 0
I'll ditto the battery conditioning statement..

My battery is getting better and better..

Still, this device is much more than a phone. "Phone calls" are just ONE thing it accomplishes. It DOES A LOT more, (but you know that) :) The battery won't last as long as our old "one task" cell phones..

With a wall charger (which can be used with a PC too), and car charger, you should have ample opportunity to keep it charged and ready for hours of use..

FC

Yeah I thought the verizon guy was just trying to sell mmore crap (nice guy though). Im going to probably have to get a car charger for long car rides but see as I just spent an arm a leg on the phone and accessories ill wait. Will say ill miss my free phone's long battery life though......

Upvote 0
Damn, I must have gotten lucky with a great battery. I took mine off the charger last night around 9:30 and used it (internet, texting, a couple emails and a couple apps downloaded) before I went to bed around midnight. Woke up this morning and battery was at 90%. I plugged it back in tonight around 6p with 40% left. I used it pretty heavily today just tinkering around on forums, downloads, texting, emails. I could not be happier with my battery at this point.

Upvote 0
Like everyone has said, give the battery a few cycles to see what it can do. The first few days my battery barely made it to me getting off of work at 5:30 after an 8 hour shift with hardly any use. Lately I have been able to make it all day and still have most of my battery left to use.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed is even on standby my battery gets eaten alive. Left my droid on standby for 5 hours and it dropped thirty percent.....is this normal?

Probably is. But one thing you might think about is common sense battery conservation. With 4 radios in the phone, it makes no sense to have all of them powered up at once if you're not using them. Wifi and Bluetooth can be turned off if you don't need them. Same with GPS - for example, I turn GPS off when I'm at home, because the signals can't penetrate my metal roof, so leaving it on is pointless.

Also how can I copy and paste?

Touch and hold the text - you'll get a menu.

Thanks. Boy I feel like an old guy asking these questions and I'm only 16.

I feel like an old guy too.....and I am. Enjoy being 16 - it only happens once.

Upvote 0
Probably is. But one thing you might think about is common sense battery conservation. With 4 radios in the phone, it makes no sense to have all of them powered up at once if you're not using them. Wifi and Bluetooth can be turned off if you don't need them. Same with GPS - for example, I turn GPS off when I'm at home, because the signals can't penetrate my metal roof, so leaving it on is pointless.

Touch and hold the text - you'll get a menu.

I feel like an old guy too.....and I am. Enjoy being 16 - it only happens once.

I didn't know GPS could be turned off thanks. I usually turn wifi off when I'm in the car and I never use bluetooth.

Upvote 0
Anyone know of any good after market batterys with a higher mah rateing? I mean I don expect the battery to last forever like a free phone but still. Fyi I took my phone off the charger at ten this morning and now at seven thirty at night its at 5%.

Its a smartphone, which does more than your free phone, so it doesn't last as long. Its also new battery and it will take a week or so to reach its longevity potential.

That said, keep an eye out for an extended battery from Seidio.

Upvote 0
I use the power management widget also and it has been great, I just got back from vacation and had my sync turned off unless I specifically wanted to check emails and no wifi the whole time. my battery was lasting close to 30 hours with sync off.

So yes I recommend using the widget and turning off services you don't need. (wifi, sync, gps)

Upvote 0
The built-in power control widget is great for managing and keeping track of WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS. It can toggle screen brightness as well. Takes up 4x1 screen real estate, but looks clean.

Thanks for that...I didn't even know that was there. I had downloaded a wifi on off widget, but the power control widget is much better...

Upvote 0
There are a couple good threads on battery "conditioning". I would not recommend draining your phone dead and recharging if you want maximum battery life. The opposite holds true for li-ion batteries. You want to run your battery to maybe 50% charge then recharge fully. Do a full discharge about every 30 or so charges to calibrate your gauge, but other than that, keep her filled up. Btw, there are multiple online articles other than this site that back up that logic when it comes to li-ion batteries.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones