• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brand new to Android - Few quick questions...

DFD01

Sep 4, 2011
Please bear with me here, as I am brand new to Android. FYI I will be rooting my Commando, if that makes any difference in the way these questions are answered.

- What's the best wifi iTunes syncing utility out there?

- What's the best hotspot app out there? How about the best free one?

- Is the default Gmail app decent or would you recommend something else? I have two Gmail addresses and about ten Google Apps accounts.

- Can my Apple Address Book "groups" be synced up to Gmail so they show up as such in Gmail and consequently on the Android OS?

- Likewise, is there any way to actually sync iCal up to Google Calendar so that updates from any of the three locations are synced across the board?

- Is there any way to deal with system files and such over wifi so that I don't have to constantly pull out the microSD card? What about normal files?

- Is there an app out there that will actually sync or at least download things from Dropbox just like a normal computer does?

That's all I can think of for the moment. Thanks in advance the help!

I can't help with the iOS related questions but some I can :)

- What's the best hotspot app out there? How about the best free one?

Barnacle Wifi Tether has good reviews and works for people from what I have seen. I also think there is a wifi tether app out there as well.

- Is the default Gmail app decent or would you recommend something else? I have two Gmail addresses and about ten Google Apps accounts.

You can access multiple accounts with the default Gmail app. I perfer to use K-9 Mail so I can condense my inboxes to one app rather than use a differnt app for non-gmail accounts

- Is there any way to deal with system files and such over wifi so that I don't have to constantly pull out the microSD card? What about normal files?

There are several file explorers that allow you to sync over wifi. You should also be able to attach the phone to the CPU via USB and send files with the cable.

- Is there an app out there that will actually sync or at least download things from Dropbox just like a normal computer does?

Dropbox has an official app

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
i just got a galaxy pro 3 days ago but having some mishaps.
First of all anytime I transfer songs (600 in no) to my phone, after disconnecting my phone freezes up or most of the songs are cleared on its own and the memory card sometimes mounts and unmounts on its own to the extent dat I downloaded astro but could not install showin my memory card wasn't available. Pls help bcos I'm starting to hate this fone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones