1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News app

Last Updated:

1. OldRoman

OldRoman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have Sprint Hero and was wondering (and yes I have done a search of the Forums and found nothing that meets my needs) if anyone knows of an app for Breaking News. I have one from CNN on my iPhone and when breaking news happens it pops up on the lock screen in a bubble with the headline. The iPhone app is made by CNN itself. Everything I've found on the Market is not made by CNN and so won't work the same way. I'm not looking for RSS feeds. I want something that will pop up on the lock screen for me to see when something news worthy happens.

Advertisement
  2. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I don't know of any specific app like you describe, but I love to come up with work-around's to situations like your describing. However, this workaround has limited characters.

I just signed up for the CNN Breaking News Mobile Alerts, and I don't think it should cost anything extra since the Sprint Hero is on Sprints unlimited text message plans.

Since I want a popup alert for these CNN Breaking News Alert text messages, I setup a contact with this 26688 number, and used the Text Message app 'SMS Popup' which I setup to display this contact's text alerts to me as a popup message with the default setting for all other text messages not to be displayed. I have other contacts setup in the SMS Popop app that do different alerts already, including popup alerts so in theory, it should work, but I have not received a CNN Breaking News Alert text messages yet to know what text information it is composed of.

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

BBC News by Jim Blackler has breaking news alerts, but they don't pop-up on the lock screen, you get a notification in the notification bar.

4. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ Well-Known Member

If you go to your local paper and or news stations, they often have such a service. I subscribe to the local Atlanta paper (AJC.COM) and when stuff happens, boom - I get a lot of instant emails!

5. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

I went looking for a breaking news app a while back, too, and never found much.

As a compromise, what I did was create a new Twitter account specifically for news feeds, and then add a Twidgit Lite window for it on my home screen. Not exactly what I wanted, but I do like the result.

6. jacindc

jacindc Active Member

If you have a Twitter account, you can follow the BreakingNews Twitter account (now owned by MSNBC), and then choose to have their tweets sent to your phone via SMS.

Breaking News (BreakingNews) on Twitter

And, if you use Handcent SMS, you can set it to have pop-ups appear, even on your locked screen.

7. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Well, seeing is believing. This is what SMS Popup looks like after I setup a contact with the phone number of 26688 and CNN's logo as the contacts picture.

Oh, and I got the 'red' CNN logo from CNN's Facebook album page.
    Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• CNN.png
      CNN.png
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member