• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking News-Its Official: Motorola mobility being sold to Lenovo

you work in a small company.
one guy marries the boss's daughter.

question: do you think you are playin on the same fair field as the new son-in-law?
even if the boss says.. he will not be bias.

Really, this isn't the local 7/11, these are large corporations and all of that was laid to rest almost two years ago.

Samsung even used it as propaganda to get more of their government's support, crucial to how their stock market works (it's not like ours).

And then, Samsung declared victory.

Along with about 5 other Asian manufacturers.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Now that I think about it, are those Motorola phones made in the States? If so, there go some more US jobs!

They're assembled here with parts from here and elsewhere.

They have youtubes from when they started up, converting defunct plant(s) in Texas to "modular manufacturing" where stations could change over to make various models without heavy assembly line costs for changes.

Upvote 0
Not sure why this is so surprising. When Google bought Motorola they said it was for the patents, and that Motorola would be kept separate. Why did nobody believe them?
Google sent a few people over there, said "see what you can do with this while we figure out what to do with it." Got bored, probably didn't want to deal with the day to day hassles of running a business like that, and sold it off when they got an offer. Google is good with ideas, not always so much when it comes to following through with things.

Upvote 0
Google gets the patents while Lenovo gets a very famous brand in cellphones. Lenovo phones are almost unheard of outside of China and Asia. Probably easier to sell a Motorola branded phone in the UK and US than a Lenovo one. All made in China of course.
US, sure. UK? Motorola have had so little visibility in the last few years that I'm not so certain.

They've recently released the G and are releasing the X, but the latter only 6 months or more after the States. But in the years before that they'd more or less given up on the UK: we got the RAZR I, and the RAZR HD was released about 9 months after it hit the US and was dead on arrival. There was a late and limited release of the original Android RAZR, and as far as I can remember that's it. Right now they are relying on the new models to make an impact in a market where if you mention Motorola phones most people still think of the RAZR V3, if they know who they are at all.

(I've still got a V3, and indeed a L7089, and both still work ;))

Upvote 0
All you need is an empty HDMI input. You don't have one?

Maybe its a big retro CRT beast ☺

Yup, no HDMI input. I was planning on getting a new TV during the superbowl deals but it didn't happen.

What kinda price is the chromecast now anyway

$35 US, but if you wait for a deal they've been down to $29. I got mine for slightly cheaper than that during an Amazon student deal.

Lets try to get this thread back on track ( I know, I know, I was the one who derailed it :eek: ) :D

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
US, sure. UK? Motorola have had so little visibility in the last few years that I'm not so certain.

They've recently released the G and are releasing the X, but the latter only 6 months or more after the States.

The Moto G will do well, it doesn't really have any competition at it's price point, but I can't imagine it's a big earner for the networks with same of the

Upvote 0
Yup, no HDMI input. I was planning on getting a new TV during the superbowl deals but it didn't happen.

$35 US, but if you wait for a deal they've been down to $29. I got mine for slightly cheaper than that during an Amazon student deal.

Lets try to get this thread back on track ( I know, I know, I was the one who derailed it :eek: ) :D

Sorry mate, one more chromecast post that might make you upgrade your tv :D http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...le-cast-sdk-now-part-of-google-play-services/

Upvote 0
Google gets the patents while Lenovo gets a very famous brand in cellphones. Lenovo phones are almost unheard of outside of China and Asia. Probably easier to sell a Motorola branded phone in the UK and US than a Lenovo one. All made in China of course.

Yes, your right. As long as and I hope for this, Lenovo just won't tear Motorola up. I want the to do the same thing Google did and that's just support them financially. Motorola is doing fine with its devices! Moto G user here. And some day, when I start making more money, I'll get a next generation Moto X. Quality in these. The specs dont necessarily matter.

(Coming from someone who wants to design computer hardware in the future ha)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones