• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking news notifications ...

Pitamakan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
I'm something of a news junkie, and I used to subscribe to a couple of services that sent SMS messages when breaking news stories occurred. But I've now switched my SMS activity over to Google Voice to avoid paying Verizon for texts, and I haven't found a breaking news service that's compatible with Google Voice. (GV doesn't accept most shortcodes.)

Does anyone know of an app or widget that would send a notification to my Eris when a breaking news story takes place? That would be pretty cool, I think. Alternatively, does anyone know of a "breaking news" SMS service that's compatible with GV? (Google's own notifications include topic-based news, but not breaking news.)

Thanks!

Well, now I'm playing with an RSS app called FeedR, which is quite nice ... but isn't good for breaking news since it only updates hourly. Might have to try Twitter.

I use FeedR, but I am not looking for things as fast as you are. It is a great app though and will sync up with Google Reader really well.

If you look up "News Widget" on Androlib there are a bunch from different news sources. Getting a few of those might work for you.

Upvote 0
There is a fox news widget available its the best imo.

If I put this widget on my far right home screen, will it update while the phone is asleep? I have it set to update every 5 minutes. However, I'm hoping it sleeps when the phone does (i.e. like Weather Channel). My Weather Channel app only updates when I wake up the phone and change to the screen with that widget.

I don't want to wake up the phone to find a dead battery!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones