• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking News - Update Does Not Contain GPS Fix

Prim8, you're probably right. I guess I'll back up everything I possible can and take it to the AT&T store and see if they'll work with me. I'd really like to just try another Captivate. I came from iPhone 3GS and I love Android.

if the gps issues is a major deal then dont get another captivate, if you read threads this is a VERY common issue, your new one will most likely have the same issue. swapping it out would just be a waste of your time

Upvote 0
I have been researching the android market for more than three months now. After hours of research, blogs, videos and other threads I have come to only one conclusion, Smart Phones Need Smarter People. I
think the industry has cramed so much info into a small package that technology is surpasing what can be achieved. Not so many years ago we thought it incredible that a phone had a 16 color screen and an alarm. Newer phones today promise everything, 1000,s of applications and functions. Can you do all this with your laptop and carry it in youre shirt pocket. After carefull consideration, I am going with the xperia x10 and pray that the 2.1 update comes soon, its gps is flawless. The Captivate looks good but after reading all the negitive input on the captivate, ill wait for version 3 or 4.

Upvote 0
To put the topic back no track...

Update guys.

Before I applied the update, I made sure my GPS settings were factory, and I rebooted the phone and disabled/enabled GPS. As I mentioned, I had not improvements whatsoever after the update, after 3 hours of testing.

Then last night I thought to myself "this thing is broken anyway why do not I play with settings", so I went into LBS menu and made many many various changes. I think I found a combo that works for me, and that combo had to be set in a specific way via a sequence of certain steps. I am not clear yet what I did, so won't write it up yet.

The problem that still remains but it is NOT a show stopper any longer is I lose GPS whenever screen goes off, and then whatever software is using it has to reacquire signal upon turning screen on. Also the pointer is jumping around in Gmaps within 50 yard radius some times. I did not try driving around as I do not need my phone in a car. I only need it to show me on map reliably whenever I try to look something up. So I am happy with this.
I believe this thing IS fixable, and Samsung will still follow up with a more reliable fix that works for everyone.

Upvote 0
I agree. That said, my contentions are simple. If an individual is unhappy with the phone and doesn't wish to wait for a potential improvement/fix, return it within the initial 30 day period. If they don't have faith in Samsung adequately addressing the problem beyond the 30 day period, they shouldn't have purchased the product in the first place.

I knew about the issue before I bought the phone, but I bought the phone anyway because Samsung said they would fix the GPS. I am not expecting miracles, but I wanted the GPS to work like it did in my Nokia N95.

There are, however, many other reasons I want to keep this phone. The screen is the best I have seen anywhere and it is the only Android 2.1 phone that is on AT&T. I don't want to switch carriers because I get good cell service with AT&T and I get a discount.

I am torn because if I return this phone because the GPS on mine doesn't work at all and decide to get another phone, I will be missing the screen and Android 2.1 and eventually 2.2. I don't want an iPhone, I don't want a Blackberry, I don't want to pay out the ass for a Nokia N8. I want to have a phone with a great OLED screen that has Android 2.1 or higher and won't cost me an assload because I am paying for it in the contract anyway. So the best thing to happen for me would be for Samsung to get the GPS fixed. That is what I have wanted from the beginning. I don't want to return the phone, but I want the GPS to work.

Since your GPS works, would you be willing to trade me phones, so I can stop whining and I can get a phone that has a working GPS? NOTE: If we traded phones, the GPS on the phone you will be receiving does not work.

Upvote 0
I believe the greater good would be served by learning not to whine.

In any event, IMO the first three paragraphs of your post were constructive.

I'm just trying to say that a little empathy would help more than whining about us whining. I don't feel like I am whining, just trying to figure out what I can do and how much time I have to do it (30 days is over for me on Sept. 26).

Upvote 0
I'm just trying to say that a little empathy would help more than whining about us whining. I don't feel like I am whining, just trying to figure out what I can do and how much time I have to do it (30 days is over for me on Sept. 26).

Let me reply by first writing that I harbor no ill will.

Empathy? I am empathetic. I wouldn't want anyone to scoff at my difficulties. However, I have no patience for those who lose their sense of moderation. There are facts and there are choices. Those not willing to accept the facts and make reasonable choices that result from assessing available options are doomed to misery. I am serious when I write that some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy. It's a personality flaw that, in some cases, can't be helped. In other cases, the enjoyment of wallowing in self-pity proves too enticing, and there is always a group of sheeple available who are all to willing to shout "me, too" or "kill the bastards."

You want to know your options? You can exchange your device, but that may or may not help, just as exchanging it for random shutdowns may or may not help. Sadly, it's a lottery. Quality control has been lacking, to say the least.

Alternatively, you can have faith that a better, more universal fix will be forthcoming. If you don't have that faith and GPS is very important to you...exchange your Captivate for a different, more reliable phone.

All the best.

Upvote 0
This thread is just wrong all over the place (starting with the title).

This thread, and every other thread that contains "GPS" should be put in a sub-category of its own. That way members wouldn't need to sift through an overpopulation of related stuff. You want to read about GPS? Go to...

Captivate - All Things GPS

That would provide us all with a more perfect forum world (but I say that humbly in case a mod thinks I'm off base.) ;)

Upvote 0
... just trying to figure out what I can do and how much time I have to do it (30 days is over for me on Sept. 26).

I took mine back over 30 days ago so that I won't get stuck with a non-functioning GPS. I have been following and contributing to the forums anyway, and hope for it to be fixed so I can repurchase.

My thoughts were I don't want to be stuck with a bad GPS in the phone for 2 years. I'm so anxioius for it to be resolved. Lots of folks would say "Get a life" :p

So it all depends on how much importance you put on the GPS. Many people could care less. Many are like me: the main purpose for the higher expense of a Smart Phone is for GPS functionality, so that I don't have to have multiple devices. So, I took it back.

If not fixed by the time a phone that is competitive to the Captivate comes to AT&T, I'll end up with something different. In the meantime I'm suffering with my old Tilt (which has a perfectly working GPS).

Upvote 0
You want to know your options? You can exchange your device, but that may or may not help, just as exchanging it for random shutdowns may or may not help. Sadly, it's a lottery. Quality control has been lacking, to say the least.

Alternatively, you can have faith that a better, more universal fix will be forthcoming. If you don't have that faith and GPS is very important to you...exchange your Captivate for a different, more reliable phone.

All the best.

For the past few days I have been considering exchanging because I like the phone too much and my faith of a fix is waining. My faith held long enough for the the fix to come out, but when it didn't fix the GPS issues on my phone, I used this forum to see if the fix was working for other people.

Upvote 0
I use a Garmin Oregon 400 for a handheld GPS, Garmin Nuvi 265W in the truck, and a Garmin 498c w/sonar in the boat (offshore). I love the phone but don't consider it a GPS device. It just doesn't have the functions of a stand alone GPS unit. I have 20 days left to make up my mind. Would be nice for it to work, but not a deal breaker for me.

First, welcome.

I fell into the "get a TomTom, Garmin, whatever" trap, too. There are quite a few apps that are location-based and, therefore, require reliable GPS functionality. Not a deal breaker for you and others, but it's understandable that there are those to whom it's important.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
I agree and i wasn't speaking for everyone, just myself.

Garmin Oregon 400T, $450.00. Doesn't work so well indoors or under my t-top (fiberglass). Tons of updates

Garmin 498c $1000.00. Had to mount an ext antenna on top of t-top to get a lock.

Nuvi 265W $150.00. Loses lock going under a 8 lane bridge.

None of the consumer grade GPS chips are that great. The only one I really count on is in the boat. I do use a compass as back-up while on the ocean.

I feel for the people whos phone won't lock. I understand their gripe. Hopefully they will come up with a fix soon.

Upvote 0
Well also after this update the lbs test menu is no longer avalible by the old method so the old quick fix is no long avalible. maybe its just my phone but the *#*#1472365#*#* does nothing anymore. phone updated on 9-22-2010. method worked on 9-21-10. can also confirm my wifes does not access this menu anymore after her update. also might wanna check your staus bar for burn in. my phone burned in and i got a new one its way.

Upvote 0
Well also after this update the lbs test menu is no longer avalible by the old method so the old quick fix is no long avalible. maybe its just my phone but the *#*#1472365#*#* does nothing anymore. phone updated on 9-22-2010. method worked on 9-21-10. can also confirm my wifes does not access this menu anymore after her update. also might wanna check your staus bar for burn in. my phone burned in and i got a new one its way.
Yep, that has been removed.:mad:

Upvote 0
gps still sucks i use it everday for drving and doing pizza runs in las vegas

takes forever to lock and when it does it loses it or says im somewhere else and gives me wrong directions -_-

i use the navigation app with turn by turn i dont use the maps app i like the navigation one better

so no this gps fix does not work at all or is still broken

i dont know whats up with everyone saying this accuary bs with cellphone when i used the iphone for with the Tom Tom app it was awesome i never had one damn issue with the gps or where it says i am :)

i think its just the drivers for the phone are ****** up and someone dont know what the hell there doing or there trying to fix it and not do any real test to see that

im sure all they do is see one lock and go "hey its fixed release it so ppl will shut up" but they never go out and do drving tests etc... /fail samsung

and to all who its working i envy u all i wish mine worked as perfectly as urs cause **** i need gps its just so damn usefull

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones