• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked? Bootloop and Black screen during recovery, Factory reset and clear storage.

avbode417

Lurker
Jan 6, 2011
I used unrevocked, was running MIUI and just flashed a new kernel. During the the reboot the phone was boot looping and I am only able to see the boot loader but if I choose to do a recovery, clear storage, or factory rest I get a black screen with two white stripes on each side. How do I fix this problem? I dont care about the back up any more I just want the phone to work.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advanced.

Did you do a nand backup before all this trouble? If so, have you done a single backup or several? Just thinking we could potentially talk you through the keystrokes to restore a nand. If you only had one, there'd be no doubt we'd get the right one. Then at least you'd have eyes but you'd still need a new recovery for the future.

Upvote 0
Ok, I strike out again. :D

Use the above link and get Adrynalyne's file on that page (cwm_mod_zip), rename to PB31IMG and place onto the root of your SD card. Here's hoping you formatted your card to FAT32 at some point along the line.

Pull battery and enter hboot. Wait for the file to be recognized then press volume up to load. Once you're back up and running with a viewable recovery, you can put a new rom on the card, wipe data and cache and load zip (Rom) from the SD card.

Upvote 0
Sure. Download the following file to your computer's desktop:
http://adrynalyne.us/files/recovery/cwm/PB31IMG_cwm_mod.zip

Rename the file to PB31IMG, then place the file onto the root of your SD card. Then with the card in your phone and the new file on it, pull the battery. Then replace battery and while holding the volume down button, press the power button until the phone starts up, should be in bootloader. After a few seconds, it will search for possible image files (this is the PB31IMG you just placed there). It should auto locate that file. At that point, you will use the volume up key to load the PB31IMG file. This should give you a working recovery.

After you have a successful load, you'll reboot the phone and it'll likely bootloop again. Pull the battery and now is the time to remove the PB31IMG from the SD card so it doesn't try to load a second time. Then replace the card and battery, go back to the bootloader and this time it'll once again search for any image files only there won't be any there. So go to "Recovery" and press the power button once. You will now be in a working version of Clockwork and you can put a working Rom in the form of a zip onto your card and load using the Clockwork menu...Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card > Browse to find your Rom. Just prior to loading the Rom however, it may be wise to wipe data and cache back to back in clockwork (once again Clockwork menu options).

Clockwork will take over and load the Rom, then restart the phone and you should be up and running with a working Rom and working recovery. Just start out with the kernel that's packaged with whatever Rom you choose and personally I might suggest a real solid Rom to start with, something like Virtuous or a Sense based Rom.

Once you're up and running, go back into Clockwork one final time and do a Nandroid backup under the backup/restore menu. If you have any future issues with a bad flash, you can revert to that and be back up and running in a matter of minutes.

Reactions: Shnuddy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones