Bricked droid x, getting very frustrated

Last Updated:

1. Mc8ball

Mc8ball Member This Topic's Starter

My x bricked yesterday when trying to install the new obsidian rom. when i was in koush's recovery and tried to install it, it said there was some sort of error with the file so i just tried to reboot the phone. Yes i know that this was probably a stupid choice, i should have just restored my phone to negate the whole possibility of something going wrong, but of course i didnt. So anyways when i tried to reboot it wouldnt go past the moto screen. Ive entered recovery mode cleared all cache and data but that didnt work. Ive also tried to enter bootloader mode but it says " battery low cant program" even though it was plugged in all night. So does anyone have some advice? I noticed that in recovery mode you have the option to apply sd card update, could i use my girlfrieds droid 2 sd card to apply some sort of update? PLEASE HELP

Advertisement
  2. jloya

jloya Member

did you make a nandroid back up prior to trying to install the ROM?

I would suggest booting into recovery and load the nandroid back up

if your battery is saying its low you made need to let it charge, if you cant get it to charge take it to a verizon store and charge it up

3. Mc8ball

yes i did i have a couple different ones to choose from actually, and oh so i can just take the battery up there or should i take the whole phone i just dont want them to see that i have rooted. My moto sign has been changed to the android pissin on the apple sign :D lol

4. Mc8ball

oh and i tried that but it doesnt give me the option to choose a file to pick it just says apply sd card update.

5. ThatOneDude05

ThatOneDude05 Well-Known Member

Wait wait....Obsidian Rom?????????

6. Mc8ball

yea obsidian v3 from what people were saying i thought it would be sick, but idk either the download link is messed up or i did something wayyy wrong but i dont see how i could have ive flashed a bunch of roms with no problems

7. jloya

jloya Member

are you sure the ROM you chose wasnt for the D1?

if you click install zip from sd card, you should be able to find out restore from there

id just take the battery and not the phone

8. Mc8ball

you could be right about that i dunno, but the only options it gives me are:
    Reboot system now
    apply sdcard: update.zip
    wipe data/ factory reset
    wipe cache partition

9. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

It's from flashing a bad rom. That rom is for the samsung Vibrant from what I see in google searches.

10. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

SBF time. Lemme know if you need help.

11. Mc8ball

Okay so I have the sbf (the gift) I have the bits installed and I have rs lite or I think that's what its called but my phone wont charge so it wont let me program in bootloader? Any suggestions other than just going to verizon to charge my batt?

12. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

Borrow a buddies phone to charge your battery, cut of a USB cable and connect the wires to the terminal on your battery if you have a spare USB charging cable you don't mind destroying.

13. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I'm not sure, but couldn't you download another custom rom, place it onto the root of sd card, reboot recovery, wipe data and install update.zip from sdcard?

14. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Not so easy on the DX because of the Bootstrap. It looks like he is only able to get into the stock recovery and not into Clockwork recovery. :( He will have to find a way to get the battery charged and SBF.

GMB

15. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Well-Known Member

I had a moment of terror like this as well. However, I rebooted the phone and plugged in the USB and it booted into Clockwork. Then I was able to flash my nandroid.

16. G.Armour

Well it was worth a try... But theoretically, if he could get clockwork recovery to boot up, my idea would work.

17. Btros

Btros Well-Known Member

There's also the thing that happened to me where I did 10 battery pulls/reboots and on the tenth time it booted into clockwork recovery. Might wanna keep trying that and see what happens.

18. hyperlite

hyperlite Well-Known Member

Keep doing battery pulls until you boot into clockwork, then just restore the backup THAT YOU MADE RIGHT?!

19. GrandMasterB

Absolutely, it would work. I tried for a couple hours the other day to get into clockwork from a stuck at the M state. I tried every form of battery pull known to man and never got into clockwork again. I have heard of people doing it ^ but its just the luck of the draw.

GMB

20. G.Armour

Yeah, I've had this happen on the D2. Good luck man, hope you get your X fixed.

21. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member

If he formatted system prior to bricking, then the bootstrap files that intercept the boot process would not be there right?

Once you get your battery charged, make sure you have the right SBF. If you upgraded to the Froyo OTA, do not use the 2.1 SBF. You will not be able to recover from that. You want the 2.2 Full SBF if you were on the OTA Froyo. Check rootzwiki.com for it.

If you run into problems doing the SBF, go here for some troubleshooting help.

22. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

Mine does it every 3rd or 4th boot like "clockwork"....lol :p

23. Mc8ball

okay so i went to verizon and got my battery charged to 30 percent do you think thats enough to flash the sbf? and yea if i could get into clockwork it would be straight because i could just restore my back up, but it just wont go into clockwork. I appreciate all the help guys

24. Btros

Btros Well-Known Member

Why don't you just get it charged all the way? Or at least to 50%.

25. GrandMasterB

:p:p:p

Have you tried repeated battery pulls as suggested above? Have you tried pulling the battery, replacing it, and then plugging it into the computers USB port to turn it on? That worked for me once upon a time and booted to clockwork.

GMB