Bricked Fascinate beyond repair

Last Updated:

1. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking for a solution, because i'm pretty sure there isnt one.

So, I have a couple Fascinates (one i have activated, and actually use, and the other i have just to monkey around with). So, I was playing with the inactive one, and I decided to do something really stupid, just to see what would happen....

I hooked it up to the Odin3 tooled for the captivate, and decided to push that firmware just to see what would happen. when it finished, it rebooted, and stuck at the AT&T world phone screen, and wouldnt move. Now, the phone wont do anything. It wont even take a charge. it gets hot when i plug it in, but wont turn on once the battery is dead. it wont boot to recovery, it wont go into download mode, and pretty much wont do anything but go to that AT&T screen. suck. i know it's a complete waste of a phone. please dont flame, because it's an extra phone i had lying around, and cannot give it to someone else/sell it. there is literally no way to fix it/flash it back to stock.

so, word of warning, dont do this. i know nobody is stupid enough to make this mistake. i was just really curious.

although, if someone is up to the challenge of figuring out a way to fix it, i'd be really curious to hear it. i've tried every button combo, and nothing works.

i think i may take this opportunity to take apart the phone just to see how it is done, and to see what the innards look like.

sorry for the waste of server space, and such a boring story, but i just thought i would share.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Well, Sundown, at least at this point with that particular device, you have nothing to lose so you can try just about anything. ;)

I'm wondering if you can use Odin3 to re-flash at this point. What is doubtful about that is the heat when plugging it in; that's sad. Does it heat up with the USB attached to your computer as well as an ac outlet?

If not, charge it that way, then perhaps some modification of this Captivate unroot method could be at least a start for you:

Stock Firmware Odin3 Flasher

3. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

haha, yep. been there, tried that. i've used odin to flash my other phone. it does heat up eventually when plugged into my computer, but it wont recognize it.
    i'm not terribly worried about getting it fixed. i gotta send it back anyway. i just think it's weird that by doing that, i totally disabled the phone's ability to enter recovery or download mode. neither odin or adb recognize the phone no matter what i do. i've tried every button combo, and no matter what i do, it just sits on the AT&T screen until the battery dies, or until i pull it.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

6. dj-wires

dj-wires New Member

I sadly did this on Accident today....basically because i did not read enough of what i was doing. I am a noob to all of this, so after i rooted my phone i tried to get a kernel up and running, and it did not work, i then used Odin to try and fix this problem. I will admit i have not used Odin before so i simply read the post and did what it said. I did not realize that this was for the captivate not for the Fascinate, and now i have this same problem.
    I have read every post, and spent all day trying to find a fix for my own stupidity and nothing..... i am forced to go back and exchange my phone (luckily i got it at costco...so i can exchange inside of 90 days.) lesson learned i would say.

7. nunyazz

nunyazz Well-Known Member

you can get it to recovery with a jig. Search xda or youtube for galaxy S jig