• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked HTC One M8 - Help ASAP =(

Hi there,
So recently I just tried rooting my HTC One M8, with the All-In-One tool kit. It was successful, I was messing around with it for a while, removing bloat wear, ect. Then I figured out about custom roms, and heard about CyanMod11. It turns out that it couldn't read my sim card for whatever reason, but it still worked and loaded up. Then, I tried Android Revolution. THAT one worked flawlessly, besides the fact that I couldn't take screen shots for whatever reason. I should of just left it there. Here's where things go wrong. Then, I tried ViperOneM8. After that, it failed to load up and is now in a endless boot loop. I can't get into fast boot either. However, one time I somehow did manage to get into fast boot, but I didn't see the "recovery" option anymore. So... I'm out of ideas here. I'm really worried I bricked my device for good. My device powers on and everything, it just won't load up any OS, and I can't get into fastboot/recovery. Why I'm mainly worried is I failed to create a back up also. I'm running out of ideas here, and if ANYONE could help me that would be great.

OK, sounds good.

Your phone isn't bricked. I can probably get you going.

Key thing is to not panic and experiment. Slow and steady and we'll get it running in no time.

If it's off and charging now, leave it alone an hour.

Do you know where your fastboot and adb are located?

Have you used adb before - iow, do you know if you have working adb drivers if on Windows?

Are you on Windows?

Reactions: hiredgun
Upvote 0
Okay, I will not panic and I will go slow with this. I really want my phone to work again, and I'll try everything. No I am not very familiar with ADB, and no I do not have the drivers for ADB. I used the All-In-One tool kit method, in fact I have the video I followed. Here is the link
now I tried entering recovery mode. It failed to load recovery mode and just rebooted my device. But I'm back in fast boot mode again and I'm just going to do what you said and let it charge for an hour.

Upvote 0
Here's proof my phone can boot up now in fast boot. Sorry for low qual, I had to use my crap webcam to snag the pic.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
While you're waiting please get our Mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Unzip so that the folder is at c:\sdk-tools

Get the ViperOneM8 rom zip file. Open it and extract a file named boot.img - copy that to c:\sdk-tools

Please tell me what version of ViperOneM8 you installed. The file name will do.

Please tell me if you remember which TWRP you installed.

If you don't have it handy, get the latest from http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Be absolutely sure to get the one for your phone and carrier.

Copy it also into c:\sdk-tools

If you used CWM instead of TWRP, get TWRP anyway.

Then tell me the name of the openrecovery-twrp file you placed into c:\sdk-tools

If you can see your hboot and radio versions on the fastboot screen, let me know what they are.

If not, don't try for it just now, we'll come back to that if necessary.

Upvote 0
Okay thanks! I will try this. I installed ViperRom 1.60.0 the last one I remembered. I was trying a lot of ROMs. The TWRP I installed accoriding to this "All-In-One" tool kit was 2.7.0.2. I downloaded the latest one. I got the right one for my carrier, as well. Also, I downloaded the latest version of ViperOneM8: http://s-h.co/htc-one-m8/viperonem8-420
I'm downloading the Mini-SDK kit now.

Upvote 0
Okay thanks! I will try this. I installed ViperRom 1.60.0 the last one I remembered. I was trying a lot of ROMs. The TWRP I installed accoriding to this "All-In-One" tool kit was 2.7.0.2. I downloaded the latest one. I got the right one for my carrier, as well. Also, I downloaded the latest version of ViperOneM8: http://s-h.co/htc-one-m8/viperonem8-420
I'm downloading the Mini-SDK kit now.
That's fine but I want to be clear - pieces are not mix and match.

If your phone is bootlooping on a ViperOneM8 1.6 install then we want that rom and that boot.img - you can find all of the versions here -

http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/

Nothing is going to break but nothing will get fixed with the wrong pieces in place.

I seem to recall that you latest TWRP is 2.8... Not available for your version?

Reactions: hiredgun
Upvote 0
I'm really stupid... okay. So I figured out what current ROM I am on. It's the Android Revolution HD one. I remember which one I used too, the latest one. I found it again here. It's stuck on their boot logo. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2694917
OK perfect!

Download that to your pc. Open the zip file, extract the boot.img and copy that to c:\sdk-tools

We're going to re-flash TWRP and flash the boot image and see if that sorts it all out.

Plug your phone into your pc, ensure that the phone says FASTBOOT USB highlighted.

Open a command window and say -

cd \sdk-tools

(mind the space after cd and in the following commands)

Ensure that you have the right place, say -

dir

And you'll see pretty much the same listing as above.

To reinstall TWRP -

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-file-name-goes-here.img

Install the boot image, a common issue when s-on -

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Then,

fastboot reboot

Let me know what happens.

Upvote 0
Okay well, I'm downloading the Android Revolution as we speak. I hate to say this too, but I'm super confused with the SDK/ADB tools. I've never really done anything like this before. I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but do you think you could help me over via Skype, and I could share you my screen and show you the issue I'm having with the SDK toolkit you provided me? I'm just overwhelmed with all this, but I can keep trying, as well. Also, yes. It is highlighted "Fastboot USB"

Upvote 0
Okay well, I'm downloading the Android Revolution as we speak. I hate to say this too, but I'm super confused with the SDK/ADB tools. I've never really done anything like this before. I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but do you think you could help me over via Skype, and I could share you my screen and show you the issue I'm having with the SDK toolkit you provided me? I'm just overwhelmed with all this, but I can keep trying, as well. Also, yes. It is highlighted "Fastboot USB"
Don't panic.

I would go to Skype if I could but I can't at the moment. Fwiw - I've helped at least a hundred people in your shoes and I'll bet you'll be fine.

Is \sdk-tools right under c:?

Did you open a command window?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/f/open-command-prompt.htm

Your screen shot above looks good - what sdk-tools problem are you having?

I can probably get you done in 3 or 4 steps. ;)

Upvote 0
C:\Users\Inbios\Desktop\sdk-tools>cd /sdk-tools
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Inbios\Desktop\sdk-tools> what my SDK-Tools says.
OK - you're already there so don't bother with the cd \sdk-tools command.

It's OK that you put it on your desktop but that's not c: and that's why the command was confusing.

So - don't worry about it.

From your command window in sdk-tools folder right as you are -

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones