Bricked Milestone?

Last Updated:

1. lonesomefolly

lonesomefolly Active Member This Topic's Starter

Might aswell make a new topic for this.

I installed Brazilian's 2.0.1 update. All was smooth sailing. Then I tried 2.1 European, but 3g was disabled. I tried with the Singapore 2.1 and same luck.
    So I tried reverting to Brazilian's 2.0.1 but it got stuck on SW Update in progress, while RSD Lite said Device is waiting for other devices to complete flashing.

I tried unplugging it. I got thrown into a screen that read:

I tried running RSD lite once more. It got stuck where it was before. So I unplugged it again, and now it show this, and won't let me run any roms:

[​IMG]

Please tell me there's a solution. :/

Advertisement
  2. lonesomefolly

Okay, this is pretty amazing. I turned it off and on a few times, left it some time alone, and tried again. Only now it would let me install roms once more.

I installed the UK update and it installed SUCCESSFULLY :D No 3g still, but at least its not bricked.

Now, would it be possible to DOWNGRADE to 2.0.1 Brazilian? I tried before with no luck.

3. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Glad you got sorted - i'd say you had some sigh of relief!

As for 3g, prob a stupid question, but have you both input apn settings and ticked "data roaming"?

4. lonesomefolly

I have tried to, but when hitting new apn, and save afterwards... for some reason it isn't listing anything as saved. It could be because I'm in latin america and I'm using the european 2.1

I'm not sure though, thats why I was looking to downgrade to 2.0.1 once again, just not sure how. Running the rom doesn't seem to be working.

5. agent86.ca

agent86.ca Member

Getting the same message on my (unrooted, but unlocked) Telus Milestone... Have had it for a grand total of three weeks. Changed the battery on Thursday and when I tried to turn it back on, got the "code corrupt" message.

[​IMG]

Thinking back on sequence of events, I suspect it's because I failed to power off the phone before switching batteries. I was running Flip Silent and felt it vibrate to tell me it was changing the ringer state just as I popped the battery out. (A moment of "uh-oh, maybe I shouldn't have done that".) Also was an eBay battery that I had removed... Motorola holograms on it, but closer inspection shows no water indicator stickers so thinking it's probably a counterfeit. Not sure that should really have any bearing on it, but maybe...

After trying (unsuccessfully) to restore with the Motorola Software Updater I called up tech support. Was expecting them to tell me "tough luck, it's unlocked", but they gave me an address to send it in for warranty repair. Guess we'll see soon enough whether they can (will) do anything for it... Seriously disappointed to be back to my old Blackberry for now, though.

Any suggestions on other possible fixes if the repair depot won't touch it? I can't get to the Recovery screen, so not sure what my options are from this point if they tell me "too bad".

6. hef

hef Well-Known Member

the only scenario where a milestone cannot be rescued by reflashing with rsdlite is when you do not recieve the "ok to program" message in bootloader.

just reflash with the sbf that came on the phone and you will be back to stock.

7. agent86.ca

agent86.ca Member

Thanks! Good to know for next time... (which, of course I'd prefer not to encounter.) I understood there is no SBF available for the Telus Milestone, tho. I haven't really looked into it all that far because I wasn't planning to root my phone (yet, in any case).

Had a read thru the documentation for RSD Lite (can't find an official link, so maybe out-dated), but it looks like only RSD-NetConnected has an option to perform a backup. (Which presumably could be done with a new phone to obtain the necessary .sbf.) Am I mistaken?

8. dstech

dstech Member

@lonesomefolly,
    Are you in Europe now with a Latin American Milestone?
    The reason I ask is I'm in the USA with a European (German) Milestone.
    If we swapped we'd both have 3G. :)

Anyway I was just wondering why you thought the UK firmware would activate your 3G service. Did you put in the APN settings for your network after flashing to access the data network?

9. agent86.ca

agent86.ca Member

Just an update... my phone came back to me today fully functional (though fully wiped). Brief moment of panic when I couldn't get a cell signal and couldn't get it to bring up the unlock screen. Then my brain caught up with me and I reactivated my SIM card with Bell and all is good. (Two months on night shift make for slow neurons at high noon.)