Bricked my phone. Then fixed it.

Last Updated:

1. keredini

keredini Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Long story short, after rooting my phone and customizing it exactly the way i wanted it, i decided to see if I could get Mimocan's lag-fix to work on the Captivate. For those that don't know, this speeds up I/O by placing the some of the inner workings of the phone onto a EXT3 (or 4) partition on the SD Card. Some users have seen benchmark scores double using this method on other versions of the Galaxy S.

I was too anxious though and didn't read through all the forums, as seems like Captivate owners trying this method have bricked their phones. For me, I was stuck so that no matter what happened when I booted up I went into recovery mode, however from recovery mode i couldn't select any of the options.

I finally found this thread that has a one-click program to revert the phone back to it's stock state. I lost my apps, contacts, etc. But my phone was back up and running.

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader - xda-developers

tl;dr If you brick your phone, or you want to revert back to a clean stock ROM so AT&T doesn't know you have been playing around, use the program above to restore to factory ROM.

Advertisement
    chicknlil, JackTheKnife, DT and 2 others like this.
  2. Futang44

Futang44 Active Member

So using this program unrooted your phone and restored the stock firmware?! If so that's friggin great! Did u get the AT&T apps back?

3. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Whew! Glad you got it restored....I haven't rooted my Captivate and don't think I will. Don't see enough benefits, for me personally.

4. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Oh no! :(

Wooo! :D

Thanks a ton for the link. I always like having a fall back to stock from catastrophic failure in place, especially at this stage where I'm still hacking around quite a bit (and within the 30 day return window).

5. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

I "bricked" mine too. I think SetCPU messed up my phone, and didn't want to wake up regardless if it was on or off. Ended up doing a nandroid restore (thank goodness I did one), and everything is fine. It's a little dated (3 days, but Ive done alot in those days, haha), but I'm just glad its working again.

6. keredini

Yes, phone was restored to a stock state, unrooted and all AT&T apps back.

7. keredini

I'll need to look into that. I know about the Clockwork Mod, but I would like a solution that will allow me to take a full backup of my phone (with contacts, apps, settings, etc) and then allow me to restore to that backup should I mess up my phone playing around with it. Do you know if Clockwork does that, or does your method allow that?