bricked n1?

Last Updated:

1. Cyclonicks

Cyclonicks Member This Topic's Starter

I managed to screw up my phone in two days flat

it's my first android, coming from blackberry phones where I used to install hybrid os and stuff like that.

So what I have right now is a phone that shows the ''X'' when I turn it on, but after that the screen stays lit but black, the ''back, menu, home, search'' icons vibrate when I touch them but nothing shows on screen.

How I got there
    I rooted the phone with the one button root app, the one that doesn't void the warraty haha
    I tried to do a backup with titanium (nandroid is completely differrent?) but it wasn't working.
    said to myself what the hell I have nothing on the phone

So with rom manager I installed cyanogen mod 6.1 rc2 and it was working well!
    It even fixed the issue I had with tunein that caused it to stop playing music as soon as the screen locks.

I fiddled with some of the settings, nothing too fancy and I noticed I had issues with the network as it wasn't going on 3g at all (no indication) and the net wasn't working. Also the camera wasn't recording, or at least it was crashing before saving the video.

I tried to update the radio via fasboot with android sdk (am I doing it wrong?)
    It was connecting, sending the file and all, but always returned the verification with a fail.

then I said fudge it and thought it would be easy to downgrade to cyanogen mod 6.0 but just downloading it (probably the deal breaker here ?) and then shit just got real..

tried clearing memory or something in the same menu as fasboot to no avail...

tried to install a stock rom via fastboot too but it did the same as the radio (fail)

So I'd like to know if there are options I haven't tried yet, being a noob I surely have missed something somewhere

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You have a locked bootloader, that's why the attempts to flash radio and stock ROM failed. Still, all is far from lost.

Download this: Shipped ROMs

Extract it, and rename the extracted zip file passimg.zip. Copy it to the root of your SD card, and power down the phone.

Hold vol- and power back on, it'll find the file and ask to install, pick yes and you'll be back to stock in no time. It'll need an OTA to be.completely up to date though.

Cyclonicks likes this.
  3. Cyclonicks

Cyclonicks Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you very much for your help! :)

I'll try that as soon as I'm back home

I'm kinda glad that it seems that simple to fix my screw up. I'm the most knowledgeable regarding techs at my work and since two of my coworkers got n1's I would've looked a bit like a fool on monday with a ''broken'' phone haha

4. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

Really I have never seen an Android phone truly bricked, lots of people get in trouble but it is always reversible.

Once things settle down and you get the "itch" again you should carry on with Cyanogen ROM.

- Make sure you really are rooted before attempting to flash (SU in a terminal prompt should result with a # prompt) Some OneClick solutions will not work with latest stock ROMS.
    - Make sure you have the matching radio flashed prior to the custom ROM.
    - If you break your phone search around for an answer or ask here. XDA Nexus One forums have the most knowledge.

5. Ozymandias88

Ozymandias88 Well-Known Member

Just to chime in I have flashed the upgraded Korean radio required for CM6.1 and my bootloader is still locked. I think theres a guide on how to do this on the xda wiki nexus one page. Basically just means flashing the radio as a passimg.

Also if you've used one click root your custom recovery image won't stick you have to flash that using a passimg as well I believe.

Lots of good guides here:
    Nexus One - XDA-Developers

Finally a nandroid backup is completely different to titanium backup. titanium just backs up apps and settings. A nandroid backup is a complete backup of the entire phone which can be restored from a custom recovery restoring the phone to EXACTLY the way it was when the backup was created.

I use titanium when I'm swapping roms and nandroid when i'm swapping roms or flashing my own UI tweaks (incase something goes wrong).

Hope this all helps. :)