• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bricked Tablet After Super SU Binary Update/Root

S

SteamPowerGlade

I've used KingRoot in the past to unlock both my (2.3.2 and 5.0.2) phones, with success both times, no major issues.
I later tried KingRoot 4.2 on my Android 4.4.2 tabket by HP, almost a year ago I think. The app was quick to root and in about two minutes it said it had rooted my device with success. I checked on my app drawer and there it was: Super SU - the app. I also think that the permissions were working fine for root apps I installed for test purposes.
I closed KingRoot and opened Super SU, it prompted me to update the SU binaries, using one of the two methods available: Custom Recovery (CWM) and something else that I dont remember.
I picked the custom recovery method and my tablet rebooted right afer that.
But instead of going to the recovery (I was a noob and didnt pay attention to the part "custom recovery" on the Super SU update window), my tablet started to bootloop.
I tried to go to the recovery but nothing, tried download mode, nothing.
I could only turn off the tablet using the power button.
I heard in some forums that HP locks their bootloaders so if you root a device made by them you will always get a bootloop in the end. I don't know if this is true, I hope not.
I thought I had bricked the tablet because of rooting but now I think it was because of the attempt of Super SU to update the binaries through custom recovery, which I didnt have, I had a stock Android recovery, so it simply bootlooped over and over.

HP eventually gave me a new tablet, which is still full stock, the only difference is that I had to make an extra effort to find the dev options, it seems like they wanted to hide it from the users? I don't even remember how I found them again.
So... My tablet is already out of warranty so I thought I might give it a try once again and root it with the same and now old version of KingRoot but this time without trying to update the SU binaries, since root apps seem to work fine wihout updates anyway.

Do you think my device can bootloop again? For which reason? I kind of still use it sometimes when my phone is out of battery and since my laptop's charger broke recently I have to buy another charger, but meanwhile I thougt I could use this 4.4.2 tablet for some weak gaming and video playback, and also as a emergency rescue disk for my laptop since I lost my USB pendrive one month ago.
I hope this isn't difficult to answer anyway, I appreciate any help, thanks!

I'm guessing there's an incompatibility between whatever King*Root does and what the "real" SuperSU app does when trying to update the su binary.

I would say that yes, the risk of a bootloop is still present were you to repeat the steps you described above.

I've never installed any of the King*Root variants (nor will I) since I don't trust or know exactly what they're installing or communicating back to their home base about me or my device--understanding that this might be the only obvious rooting option for some folks/devices.

Chainfire's "standard" rooting package is (mostly) transparent and you can actually examine the installation script (should you be so inclined). There are "black" parts of his process, but those are mostly utilities that he wrote to streamline the installation to be as device friendly and generic as possible.

There is a utility called "SuperSUme" that tries to replace the King*Root with SuperSU, but I'm not sure it's 100% foolproof--as always with root, caveat emptor and your mileage may/will vary ;).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
There is a utility called "SuperSUme" that tries to replace the King*Root with SuperSU, but I'm not sure it's 100% foolproof--as always with root, caveat emptor and your mileage may/will vary ;).

Cheers!
That's what I used to get rid of KingRoot. Had no problems with it. And KingRoot doesn't work on Android beyond Lollipop.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and Hadron
Upvote 0
I'm guessing there's an incompatibility between whatever King*Root does and what the "real" SuperSU app does when trying to update the su binary.

I would say that yes, the risk of a bootloop is still present were you to repeat the steps you described above.

I've never installed any of the King*Root variants (nor will I) since I don't trust or know exactly what they're installing or communicating back to their home base about me or my device--understanding that this might be the only obvious rooting option for some folks/devices.

Chainfire's "standard" rooting package is (mostly) transparent and you can actually examine the installation script (should you be so inclined). There are "black" parts of his process, but those are mostly utilities that he wrote to streamline the installation to be as device friendly and generic as possible.

Cheers!

Hey, its me the thread starter, (I forgot that I had an account here xD)!
My problem is not KingRoot, I just found out that my tablet uses dm-verity on boot so if system partition is modified the device wont boot. This was implemented back at 4.4, which ie th version of my tablet.
So, I can root with no problem but I need to disable system verification on boot so my tablet wont check for system modifications such as root, how can I do his wihout a laptop? Its charger broke recently so I cant use it yet, unfortunately.
Thanks btw.

Upvote 0
Looks like you'd need replace / update your kernel with a custom one that has dm-verity disabled to do what you're asking:

and that would take modifying the boot.img which I'm pretty sure you can't do with a locked bootloader...

:(

Thanks for the link above :p
I tried to root my tablet and right after that I went to my Settings App, and rebooted to recovery.
There, I cleaned cache and made a factory reset and also applied a patch to disable dm-verity, my tablet restarted and it looks like it didn't brick. Everything appears to be normal until now.
Without that patch I would probably be bricked right now so yeah...
Thanks for the help anyway!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones