Bridge Wireless Tether to Ethernet

Last Updated:

1. twig123

twig123 Member This Topic's Starter

Feb 22, 2010
    Hi All, I need some help trying to figure out how to bridge/share the Wireless Tether on my HTC Hero to my Wired network computers. Here is what I have so far: HTC Hero (Rooted) Wireless Tether app (Working via WiFi) Laptop (Windows XP, WiFi & Wired LAN access) 2 Desktops (Only wired LAN access) Linksys WRT54G Rev8 Router My Question: I currently have the Laptop working on the Hero's Internet tether, but how do I go about forwarding that connection to my wired LAN computers? Has anyone already attempted this with any success? Thanks

2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    what you're asking is how to bridge the RJ45 to the wireless on the laptop.. yes it can be done.. I just don't remember how to do it.. I'm on Win7 now and things are a LOT different than XP when I was looking into doing the same thing a couple years ago. the biggest drawback is the internet speed won't be much more than dialup once you start bridging and adding computers the load..

not to mention the phone battery will die pretty quick and even plugged in isn't enough to keep up with the power drain
  3. MGSteve

MGSteve New Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I found this thread via Google and the OP is what I want to do. (At least for a short time).

I'm due to move house soon and the new house won't have a landline connection for at least 2 weeks. In the mean time I will need to use my mobile's 3G (or 4G if I get it in time) connection.

Now, using it for 1 PC is fine, just stick it in hotspot mode. However, I need to hook it up to the LAN, so my other PCs can get access to it.

There isn't going to be a huge amount of traffic, but my emails are not on my main PC, I remote Desktop into the machine to read them.

Anyway, is there an easy way to bridge the LAN to the WIFI hotspot, so that all PCs on the lan can get Internet access via the phone's data connection?