Brightness changes on notification bar.

Last Updated:

1. indiemixer

indiemixer Active Member This Topic's Starter

When I have the Vibrant's brightness set manually on 0, whenever I slide the notification bar down the brightness jumps to 80%. Anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement
  2. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member

How can you tell (are you going back into the settings)? Does it go back after you minimize the notification bar again?

3. indiemixer

I can tell because the screen gets a lot brighter, and when I go back into the settings the slider bar is at 80%. It doesn't go back when I minimize the notification bar, I have to manually change it back. It doesn't happen every time though.

4. Robinelli

Wild. I tried it on mine this morning and my settings were not altered by using the notification bar. As long as I hit save changes they stay permanently altered (until I power off the phone). I'll try it a few more times and post back if I notice it happen.

5. Robinelli

Ok it just happened. I got a phone call and text message. Pulled down the notification bar and it seemed brighter. Looked in the settings and the brightness had changed. Odd...

6. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

If you open the notification all the way down, then you shouldn't have the problem. But if you hold onto it and rapidly move it up and down, then it will change the brightness.

It could be a bug or a TouchWiz thing. I think it's part of TouchWiz because they have settings shortcuts inside of notifications, so this might be one of those quick settings ability they implemented. I don't have the manual with me to see if it's true or not, but that's what I'm assuming.

indiemixer and Robinelli like this.
  7. Robinelli

AHHH!!! Very cool. Thanks for that tidbit!

8. indiemixer

Thanks for the info! I actually kinda like that, because whenever I wanna show someone Avatar I'll just move the notification bar a little bit and the screen is all set! :)

9. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I would prefer the brightness to light up when I pull down the notification bar. I don't think it's a problem. If it didn't light up, that would be the problem.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Hmmmm.....interesting.:confused:

10. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Just to update about this. This is a Tip & Trick thing, not a bug.

The brightness doesn't change when you rapidly move it up or down. Touch the notification bar and slide your fingers left or right. Do not move it down. Just touch then slide. So you can get instant brightness or instant dullness.

llblwskydrgn, sahaj and indiemixer like this.
  11. coolguy949

coolguy949 Well-Known Member

I've noticed the brightness seems to increase when the phone displays something white or really light like in web browsing or Market. Not sure if the phone is ramping up brightness or whites are so bright on this phone.

I have a brightness app that I use to turn off auto brightness and it still seems to get brighter when I open light backgrounds. I don't know anything about displays, but maybe OLED needs to up the power of the backlight to display light backgrounds (affecting total brightness)?

12. niharG

niharG Member

Actually, OLED doesn't use backlights. Each pixel is, effectively, it's own light source. That's why blacks look so black on OLED displays. They are completely powered off and there is no backlighting. Since black pixels are actually "off" (or close to that), what you see as increased brightness on whites might just be that -- white IS in fact, brighter on OLED screens.

Also, I can verify that sliding the notification bar right increases brightness and to the left decreases it. Thought this was a bug as well, but now I can see the utility in it! No need to go through Settings -> Sound and Display -> Brightness and adjust a slider. Just slide your finger at the top of the phone to instantly change brightness!

13. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

user manual download : http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...bile_SGH-T959_Vibrant_English_User_Manual.pdf

14. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

15. sahaj

sahaj Member

i'm getting the same problem on my samsung captivate, but i can't replicate the issue by opening the notification bar half way and then sliding it left and right. this problem is really annoying. it would be fine if the brightness went to the set level upon closing the drawer but it doesn't. sounds like a bug to me since i can't replicate this issue everytime.

16. sahaj

sahaj Member

ok wow. just figured it out. if open the drawer just a little bit where just the bottom of the pulldown bar is showing and move it left and right (like a slider), you can instantaneously adjust the brightness.

now that i know how this works, i can see the utility of it. but i'm still wondering if there is a way to turn it off?

17. coolguy949

coolguy949 Well-Known Member

It doesn't work for me if I have auto brightness set.

18. llblwskydrgn

llblwskydrgn Well-Known Member

This is really neat! I thought this was a bug as well and began getting annoyed but having easy access to brightness setting is great! Thanks!

19. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

So I'm having the opposite problem as what the thread says.

I put my screen on highest brightness, and I turn power saving off. Meaning I want my phone to be forced to ALWAYS display the highest brightness. But sure enough, when my battery gets low, the Vibrant insists on putting my phone on the lowest brightness, even though power saving mode is turned off. So then I go look at my brightness bar, sure enough the brightness bar is on 100 percent, but the phone looks dimily lit. As soon as I move the brightness bar, it gets instantly bright, so I set the brightness bar back to 100. Sure enough, the phone again makes my screen dim.

Anyone else noticing that your phone forces your screen to automatically set onto lowest brightness when the battery is low, even when you specifically told the phone to turn off power saving mode.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: